Why is Hitachi on my mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rusty shackleford, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Rusty shackleford macrumors newbie

I have a mac book pro and when I try to wipe the data on my laptop it says one of my internal physical disks is Hitachi. I have never installed Hitachi on my mac book pro. It says Hitachi HTS5452 etc. what does this mean? Is Hitachi standard to a mac book pro by default? I cant seem to unmount or delete it

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. Rusty shackleford thread starter macrumors newbie

so it comes like that?

4. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Remember, Apple doesn't actually make anything on their own. All components that make up their products come from somebody else.

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I thought they used Samsung and SanDisk??????? Who's hitachi? Sounds like a sushi bar!

6. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Not sure if kidding but Hitachi is a pretty large Japanese company that have been around for a while, similar to Panasonic or Sony. Its a conglomerate so they dabble in everything from insurance to making hard drives. Hitachi are known for making some of the most reliable HDD so its a good thing to see Apple use them in their products (though I think Western Digital bought off their hard drive subsidiary).

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Ohhh ok. I've never heard of them. That's good though.

8. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Hitachi and IBM used to have a relationship. They created the Microdrive that was used in CF cards and the iPod.

I found that older MBPs had Hitachi and Toshiba drives. My most recent 2012 MBP had a Samsung HD.

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I heard intel makes the best drives but they're expensive. I have a SanDisk in my MBPr. No problems.

10. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Surprised you've never heard of them. Hitachi has been around for a very long time and is a well established global brand from Japan. They make everything from railways, washing machines, construction equipment to circuit board components.

It's common for most products to have components sourced and manufactured by third-party companies. You''ll probably find that many components in your Macbook Pro will have parts manufactured by Samsung, Foxconn, LG, Hitachi, Toshiba etc

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I've never seen anything Hibatchi. I live in U.S. and when I go to best buy, etc I don't see their products.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

Hitachi, not Hibatchi.

They make TV's (or at least used to), appliances, hard drives, heck they even make earth-movers.

13. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

What is an earth mover? If I remember correctly I might have seen their products at Home Depot. Bright orange machinery.

14. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

A front-end loader.

I've only ever seen Hitachi hard drives and rice cookers in the wild.

http://www.hitachi.com

15. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

They don't produce consumer products such as TVs so much these days, at least in the west. If you go back a few years, you would have seen Hitachi TVs and appliances in retail stores. These days your more likely to come across air conditioning units outside buildings and offices that have Hitachi branding on them.

16. Rusty shackleford thread starter macrumors newbie

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes. You get whatever brand was available at the time and Apple had a business deal with. Toshiba, Samsung, Hitachi and once in a while Fujitsu as well.

A non-retina Mac is just a regular old PC with an Apple logo on it. Apart from the case most parts are standard, off the shelf stuff you can buy just about anywhere.

18. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I was about to say that Hitachi doesn't have great brand recognition or representation in North America. However, when I searched Amazon, the first thing that came up was this,

[​IMG]

With products like this I don't know how they're not coming out on top! :p

19. vladi macrumors 6502

Oh my ... thanks for a good laugh guys!

HGST are hands down most reliable physical disks you can get. If you need to pack up some serious storage to populate it with very important data look no further than Ultrastar

20. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Your young is showing :p

21. gngan, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Hitachi's HDD is not the fastest but definitely the most reliable. Hitachi's brand can be traced back to 1910 (way older than Samsung, SanDisk, Sony, etc.). Do a google search and you will see that there are many trusted/famous brand that isn't 'common' in the states.

Lol. You had me laughing!

FYI, this product original purpose was massaging however; the adult industry used it as toys and that's how it got famous.

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

IBM actually sold their hard disk drive decision to Hitachi. They may have partnered prior to that, but I don't know anything about it. Hitachi ended up selling the storage business to WD.

Either way, Hitachi makes a huge variety of products. I used a Hitachi rotohammer to drill 1" diameter holes in my concrete stoop so I could break it into smaller pieces and build a deck instead.

23. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Indeed. Apple doesn't actually make anything, yet Apple is the most profitable company in the world. Those two facts tell all about the modern world.