Why is iCal launching when Mail starts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Loyalty4Life, May 9, 2007.

1. Loyalty4Life macrumors regular

I don't understand. Could there be an explanation for this? I've tried looking in the preferences menu but could not find a setting for this.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sounds like you might have an invite. In Mail's Preferences, you can change the setting for adding invites to iCal from Automatically to Never. :)

3. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

That was the setting... I don't know what to do. :(

4. emtp6811 macrumors newbie

Do you have mail tags? If so, go into mail preferences > mail tags > calendar and uncheck "Open iCal when mail launches".

If you don't have mail tags, get it. You want it. You just don't know it yet.

5. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

It worked...! Thanks. I never saw the Mail Tags button because there was an arrow that expanded the window so I could see it!

BTW, why is Mail Tags so good? What can you do with it?

6. emtp6811 macrumors newbie

open it up and play with it. I mostly use it for integration with iCal, to create new events and to do's. But I also like using notes to change the subject line on an email that I want to save indefinitely, like receipts for an online transaction. I want to know what I bought, not that it was an Amazon transaction, you know?

The more you play with it, the more you will find yourself relying on it.

7. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

Most interesting. I will definitely look at it more. And I really like Mail more than just going to Firefox or Safari then pointing the browser to Gmail. Although, I do like the Gmail notifier for the Mac, but it's not needed when using Mail. Plus it's nice having email on the computer and searchable by Spotlight.

8. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

And thanks again for the answer to the problem. I do appreciate it.

Now, if you know anything about Parallels, maybe you can help there, too. :D

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just to clear up any confusion, Mail Tags is not part of Mail or iCal -- it's a separate application which costs $25.

10. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

Mail Tags 1.2.2 is free, I thought? I know 2.0 is $25 on a pre-order.

11. emtp6811 macrumors newbie

Mail tags is in a free beta right now, but will cost 20 or 25 $ once it is finished. Other than the fact that the tag doesn't scroll down the email viewer pane with you, I can't think of anything else that needs to be fixed or finished. So buy quick.

If you are looking for a notifier, I enjoy mail.appetizer (http://www.bronsonbeta.com/mailappetizer/) because it shows me a snippet of the email in a window similar to a growl notification, but I can choose to delete or mark as read or delete the message without actually opening mail the application.

12. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa... Neat stuff!

If you don't have a Mac, you can't be cool.

13. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need to upgrade in the future, do I? I would prefer not paying for it. ;)