Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DramaLlamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2020
I was toying with the idea of using Apple services primarily and I realized iCloud.com is awful.

• Reminders is missing subtasks, dates, links, and everything other than name and description
  • Photos has no editing at all and no smart albums
  • Drive only has one giant icon view and a weird UI for getting into renaming files etc
  • FindMy has no airtag support
  • Sharing folders shows your full name and there’s no changing that! Terrible for privacy.
I can’t see myself giving up O365 for Apple Services as I have to access some stuff from a Windows PC and I haven’t seen anything change on iCloud.com change in years.

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
It's just a plan B, for using when you're not on an Apple device. iCloud suite is meant to be used on Apple devices with native software.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Eisselmann

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
It is as it is with every Apple service: it‘s only half baked.
It took years for them to get iTunes Match working.
A lot of their stuff is rudimentary…

Reactions: ouimetnick

DramaLlamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2020

I agree. For me, there's no escaping a Windows PC. They're used at work and I'm a gamer. It's sad that the only usable thing on icloud web is mail and its extremely basic at best. They're not pushing me towards "Apple One" at all.

iamchris1990yal

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I agree. For me, there's no escaping a Windows PC. They're used at work and I'm a gamer. It's sad that the only usable thing on icloud web is mail and its extremely basic at best. They're not pushing me towards "Apple One" at all.
I have been pushed by Apple to try beta.icloud.com, haven't tried out most of the features but the mail section has been completely re-done and mirrors iPhone/iPad mail a lot closer than before.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020

It's always been bewildering to me how Apple, with more resources than any company on the planet puts in so many half baked efforts. The company clearly lacks strong leadership and vision. They could easily be so much better.

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
They have no incentive to make their services work perfect on other platforms. They are not making money off of Windows users accessing iCloud.

Remember, competing services like Google Docs etc. are free and work great because they sell your private data to other companies. Apple doesn't do that, so they are not motivated to work on something that doesn't make them money.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
They have no incentive to make their services work perfect on other platforms. They are not making money off of Windows users accessing iCloud.

Remember, competing services like Google Docs etc. are free and work great because they sell your private data to other companies. Apple doesn't do that, so they are not motivated to work on something that doesn't make them money.
iCloud is awful on the Mac so your explaination does not hold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.