Why is Intel such a non-factor in the mobile & tablet world?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Jun 17, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

When relatively small companies like ARM, Nvidia & Qualcomm can make and dominate the mobile and tablet industries, why hasn't a behemoth like Intel been able to make any inroads into the mobile computing world in all these years since smartphones became so popular? Where do they put their research money? Couldn't the come up with one chip design that works on cellphones/tablets in the 5 years since the original iPhone was released? Is there a technical reason for Intel not being able to transfer their expertise from traditional computing that results in them being a non-player in the mobile world? There are a lot of very smart people in these forums. Hopefully some people know the answers to some of these questions. It is absolutely baffling to me.

2. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

They're just really starting to get in to the mobile chip market.

The latest & greatest is the Orange San Diego I think it's called... It's not jaw-dropping though - although in some parts it does actually do quite well.

I think in about 5 years or so they'll be more dominant.

3. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Or the fact that intel has always had ower management issues

4. Sulten macrumors regular

Sulten

Intel is not in the business of making things that are new they keep them running with whats inside. once you get into something like that your in the market to that produce.

thats why they are inside everything. Cars, Tvs, Notbooks, desktops, laptops, servers that run everything from TV to Movies to Pixar and the list goes on and on, and you may know that they are coming with a chip inside a new phone.

5. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

The question is why haven't they done it sooner? You would think that a company with Intel's resources, would be able to out innovate any competitor, especially when it comes to burgeoning markets like mobile and & tablets.

6. Internaut, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

Internaut macrumors 6502a

The first Intel phone is here.....

The first mobile phone with an Intel processor has just been launched in the UK.

The Orange San Diego and a preview from The Register.

Like the Orange branded smart phones before it, it appears to be a lot of phone for the money though I find it hard to see how the Intel architecture can make real headway in an ARM dominated mobile world.

7. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

That's often my question, too.

8. anshuman26 macrumors newbie

That's not the first. The first one I believe is the Lava Xolo. www.xolo.in

Quite an interesting piece of hardware and has very good benchmark. As powerful as One X or smartphones of that league.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone/4

9. taedouni macrumors 65816

They could but that would require a lot of resources for R&D. Right now they dominate the computing industry (Desktop and Laptop).

10. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Im pretty sure its the same phone just the orange one got released a bit after. But yea that would have been the official first. Its the first intel phone in a european market.

11. Sulten macrumors regular

Sulten

Where not worried about Making Inventions we only keep them running better, faster and longer. Why invent something that you have to always worry about keeping the next big thing.

We keep there running and let the other's worry about that. If there is always a product and you have Intel Inside your always in Business.