Why is iOS 4.2 for iPad taking so long?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by antster94, Oct 25, 2010.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

I can't think of a single reason why they cannot roll it out yet, well maybe one reason being possible new hardware in November.

The beta has been out for ages, about time it comes out now :apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well, that's why you're not in charge.

3. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

You got any ideas then?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Are there any predictions as to the actual November date they will roll it out?

I am about to purchase an iPad, but I want to wait until they let 4.2 out of the bag for it. I say that just in case they do make a surprise hardware release. It's so close to November and if I buy right now and then in a couple of weeks they actually do release new hardware I will be bummed out. (I think it's unlikely there will be new hardware, but being this close, why take a chance?)

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Of course not. If he had an idea it would cloud his ability to be useless and snarky.

I really thought that they said November. I could be wrong, but I was expecting it in the Fall but not on the first day of Fall. I just expect it in November sometime. I don't seem to hear much about the beta releases being screwy so it's hard to say why it is delayed. I do wish they had released it sooner, but now it will come out and the iPad will feel like a new toy again.

6. stix macrumors member

It's taking so long because people would moan like hell if they had a buggy iOS on their lovely shiny iPad. Patience is a virtue... all good things come to those who wait. If you can't wait, JB.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh please. This is just as useless, except you used more words! ;)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

there is bound to be a bug of some kind regardless. They could have also rolled out betas long ago, Apple made the collective decision not to. I do believe there were betas ready before devs saw them.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

4.2 has significant bugs in the latest beta. I can't tell you what (NDA) but, at least on my iPhone 4), it's not ready for release.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apple has very very small team working on iOS. And no, you don't just "hire some more".

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

As everyone said above, the beta just isn't ready for primetime yet. I experienced it myself and had to go back to 3.2.2 as I only have one iPad.

I would say 2 more beta's then the GM.

My best possible guesses:
    October 26 - Beta 4
    November 9th - Beta 5
    November 16th/23rd - GM Release to Developers
    November 23rd/30th - 4.2 Released to Public.

That's of course just speculation. iOS 3.0 had 5 beta's as well.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Judging from their past performance, I'd say November 31st.

13. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

There isn't a chance in hell there will be new iPad hardware this year.

4.2 will out in November.

14. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I've been using it (and am right now). It's still too buggy for general release. Airplay isn't ready yet and it really does need more work.

I would agree on the two more Betas for it to be right... Beta 4 should be here next week.

15. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Jobs still needs more time to find more ways to screw iPad users, i.e. rotation lock switch. Yes, that's why it takes freaking 6 months to convert iPhone OS to iPad OS.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think we're still at least two betas away. There's a lot of bugs that are outstanding in the current Beta 3 release. It's release has to also coincide with the release of 10.6.5, although that's pretty solid at the moment. And iTunes 10.1 will also need to be released, which is buggy as heck.

17. lozpop macrumors 6502

I think that merging the iPhone OS and the iPhone OS "iPad version" into a single powerful and universal iOS for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch could be a really hard development process.

Apple always does everything for a reason. Maybe also optimizing the 4.2 for the iPad hardware specs to run the iOS flawlessly.

Another one.. Maybe in the past months they had something else to do, so they didn't run so fast for a software update for a product that was already *new* and launched a few months before — and already launching in the world.

Who knows..

18. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Because it's not ready for guys like you. If it had come out, you'd be bitching and moaning for days on end when things didn't work. Less than 6 weeks of betas is not long.

19. lozpop macrumors 6502

I think that the beta 4 will be the last beta. Then, after two or three weeks in mid-november we could see the official release.

What do you think guys? Another two betas? A release by the end of november?

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL Beta haven't been out for "Ages" it have been a regular beta testing process.

GM will be out last week of Nov.

No new hardware until May-Apr 2011

21. DrivinWest macrumors regular

I've been running the iOS 4.2 on the iPad since Beta 1 and it's fantastic. I get the gut feeling that the battery life isn't as good as it should be, but that might be because I use the iPad much more now :p.

22. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I have a feeling it's Nov 30, 2010....... but the mystic ball is cloudy

23. gatearray macrumors 65816

Ugh.

You know, there's a whole other thread some 250 posts and counting at the moment for crybabies who wish to whine about this new feature, head on over and join in the tears!

But seriously, I always enjoy reading faceless Internet forum posters get on their soapboxes about how SJ is an "idiot" or "screwing them over"... Somehow the most brilliant CEO of the modern era doesn't know better than the rest of us nobodies. :)

And to reiterate, the mute switch silences alerts, etc., not music and sound, so it is NOT the same thing as holding down the volume button. I said this in the other thread but nobody seems to care about reality over there.

24. viggen61 macrumors 6502

That'll be a LONG wait... :rolleyes:

"30 Days hath September, April, June, and..."

Sometime between the First and the Thirtieth, maybe? But probably not on the 25th (Thanksgiving - a National Holiday in the US). It's not "late" unless it goes into December, Pacific Coast time... :rolleyes:

We've been round and round this for years. The reason we only get a month, quarter, or sometimes a season from Apple is that they just aren't sure. I'm sure they targeted November 1 (or even earlier) for iOS 4.2, but just giving out the month gives them a little breathing room, in case something crops up at the last minute. Software engineering and testing ain't like dusting crops, kid! :)

:apple::apple:

25. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You are pushing the envelop here! Yes, SJ have been successful, but the fact that he "Think" he know better than everyone else have been the bigest problem (and it will be even bigger once he is not longer there), I don't consider myself a "nobody" I know my products and I know how "I" use them. Nobody else can tell me how to do it better. SJ have been proven wrong many times (iPod video, iP4 Antenna design, x86 arch, etc).