Why is iphone 4 so slow now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Feb 9, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

ever since I updated to 4.2.1 everything is so slow. The keyboard never responds or shows up like a minute later after I type something

2. diegoesk macrumors regular

att or vzw?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If its 4.2.1, its AT&T. But it may be a non-US GSM iPhone as well. But the cell carrier shouldn't effect the overall speed of the phone.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Wow...the network has not one damn thing to do with how the phone responds.

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Obviously AT&T.

@OP
    It's their way of giving you a reason to shell out more money for an iPhone 5.

6. diegoesk macrumors regular

who ever said it did? I sure didn't?

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You asking att or vzw does.

8. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Try Restoring it, and Set it up as a new iPhone that should speed it back up :cool:

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i was on 4.0 since launch day of the iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0. i just updated to 4.2.1 this past weekend and all seem the same? maybe a fresh install of the iOS will help?

10. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

LOL well then what the heck else could you be implying....

11. diegoesk macrumors regular

Maybe your used to debating about network speeds and what not. Not me.

I was simply asking if he was on vzw or att. I wasn't implying anything my friend.

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Horrible solution. Lose all your settings, app save data, notes, sms messages, angry birds scores(!) etc.
    Set up as new should be a last resort, how would you respond if someone told you to wipe your computer clean and start again?

13. fender57 macrumors 6502

I'd probably do it willingly if they waived the subsidy each year like they did last year. I was going to stay on 3GS but they waved it and here I am on iPhone 4. If they waive it again I will move onto iPhone 5 (or whatever it will be called).

14. iKoopa macrumors member

iKoopa

I've found the opposite. Launching and closing of apps appears to be quite smoother on 4.2.1, over 4.1. Among other general things.

15. aldo82 macrumors regular

Bare in mind that iOS4.3 is coming soon so I would just wait, install that and see if anything improves. I would say mine has been slightly slower on 4.2.1 but I would only restore as new as a very last resort, especially when there is a new OS release on the way that may address some if the issues

16. steste macrumors member

apple are obviously starting to make the iphone 4 crap so people will want the new upgrade this summer ;)

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only reason someone would ask if its vzw or att phone is to imply the problem is network bandwidth. Its the same phone with one exception, the CDMA chip instead of the GSM. So when you ask which carrier the phone is on, you're bringing the network into the discussion.

18. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is going to be a hotly debated subtopic for a while, there's a lot of people on here that seem to think that there is some mythical difference between the two phones. Do people call it an OiPhone or and RiPhone ot an AiPhone? No, because they're all the same thing.

20. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Ask one of your friends to trade you a 3G/3GS for a day, your iPhone 4 will feel blazing fast again! :D

Reboot, turn off spotlight search in settings, disable mms, turn off bluetooth/location services. Close out all apps running in the background.

21. Centient macrumors 6502

I guess I think that's a reasonable question to ask. There are some differences in the internals between the two phones and someone may be wondering if that is the cause for differences in performance.

Not so much getting into a carrier debate, but just trying to differentiate the two types of phones.

22. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I have the same problem since 4.2.1. I honestly wish I had never upgraded to it. My phone was perfect on the previous iOS. Now it is laggy, the battery life is crap and it glitches a lot (keyboard won't show up when I open a text, screen and home button randomly unresponsive, etc). I have done everything but restore it as new and I refuse to lose all my texts, pics, etc because of a crappy OS. So I will sit here with my cry towel til the release the next update and keep my fingers crossed that it helps!

23. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

lol... :eek:

24. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Cant you restore from backup? It will save all your pics and texts.

25. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I tried that, I guess what I meant was that I didn't restore it and set it up as a new phone, but have tried everything else, and am at the point where I am just chalking it up to a buggy OS. Oh well, glitches, slowness and all, it's still a huge improvement over my BB pearl ( not that my berry sucked, it was actually the only phone that lasted me a full 2 years ).