Why is iphone is restricted to one library?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scottgroovez, Aug 11, 2011.

1. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Whilst researching how to use multiple machines to manage my iphone's media (fixed using hexedit on the libraries) I found out that Apple restrict ipod shuffle's and iphones to only one computer, yet ipads and ipods can use multiple machines.

Does anyone know why Apple restrict the iphone this way and allow the ipad/ipod to use multiple machines?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Where are you readying this?

Its my understanding that unless you have set-up your iDevice to be "Manually Managed", they're all going to be restricted to one computer. Enabling "Manually Manage" allows you to add music and movies from multiple computers.

3. YEEZY macrumors member

Yes, that's the case for me. No pop-ups of "do you want to sync your computer to this" show up for me. The only thing you can't do is pull out songs from iTunes.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

+1

5. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

So I was wondering could I install all the iTunes Files into a folder on "Dropbox" and then have dropbox on multiple computers? Would itunes know it was syncing the iphone on different computers? the files all would stay the same because "dropbox" syncs them all between computers. Just a thought. anyone ever try it?

6. Dhelsdon, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I don't see why that wouldn't work. It's not too different than using a network library. Not very practical for storage though since you get 2GB for a free account. I am willing to bet that at least 75% of MR users have well over 10GB of music, apps, and books.

7. scottgroovez thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I read it on this Apple page: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1202

And specifically point 5 in Additional Info:
    iPod shuffle and iPhone are intended for use with a single computer. You cannot load music from multiple computers or iTunes libraries onto iPod shuffle and iPhone like you can with other devices.

8. dickdaney macrumors regular

I keep my library on an external hd. Then I can use that external hd with any computer. All I have to do is authorize the new computer, sync, de-authorize, and I'm done.

9. Jigga macrumors 6502

With the iPhone manually managing still won't allow multiple computers.

10. scottgroovez thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just really curious why Apple apply the restrictions to some iDevices and not others. Very odd.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Back in the day it did :) Most iPods will function like this, but the iPhone (definitely) and perhaps the iPod touch(?) are different and don't have this capability.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

really thats strange i cant deny it becasue ive never tested it i only know my friends use my music libaray for their ipod 3G and 4G, with no problem

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't think you could put your iTunes music folder on Dropbox. There seem to be 3 types that don't play well with dropbox: iTunes, iPhoto, and Quicken.