Why is iPhone4 so noisy in audio gear?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jgayman, Aug 7, 2010.

1. jgayman macrumors member

Does anyone know why the iPhone4 is so noisy in nearby audio gear? I've been a long time AT&T customer and have owned several GSM phones and none of them were as noisy as the iPhone. If I have my phone within 2 feet of my computer or speakerphone I get a constant Bzzz...bzzz...bzzz of GSM noise. With prior GSM phones I only had a bit of GSM interference when the phone was about to receive a call (made for a nice early warning system). Otherwise they were pretty much silent. The iPhone chatters away even when asleep. To have a little peace and quiet I need to put the iPhone on the other side of them room. :confused:

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The iPhone sends and receives data more frequently (while checking for emails, for instance) than other phones. This may be why you've noticed an increase in noise.

3. jgayman thread starter macrumors member

I don't think this is it. When at home my phone communicates via my WiFi network. I've watched the lights on my Access Point when the phone is noisy and there is no network activity.

There is some other type of GSM traffic that it is sending.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Only when you use the phone does it make use of the Wifi, if it is able to use a cellular connection it will use this in standby mode.