Why is it forbidden to export an iPad 3 from Canada?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Thomas Davie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Thomas Davie, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Just curious. Is this standard meaningless TOS?

These computing products ship from China. Manufactured in China. Al-Quaeda probably already has them. They've already been disassembled, reverse engineered and information extracted.

So why can't I sell my iPad (legally) to someone who manufactures them??

Is this just a case where the 'law' has yet to catch up with reality :)

Tom

(part of the usual BS when ordering)

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It probably has to do with the cellular capabalities. The Canadian versions are unlocked so you can use any cellular suppliers sims, Rogers, Telus, or Bell. In some countries the iPads are tied to specific cellular networks, and subject to other wireless regulations.

3. Thomas Davie thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

Am I being dense, or does this mean that I could travel to the US, get a sim, activate and use the iPad in the States?

Tom

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Every iPad in every country is sold unlocked. And yes, you can get an iPad and activate in any country that has a GSM network.

To answer your original question...Apple has a different online store in different countries, probably to avoid customs fees and duties and such.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

What are you talking about? There are no export restrictions that prevent you from selling your iPad purchased in Canada to someone outside of Canada.

Apple will not let you buy in the Canadian online store and ship to an address outside the country, but that's just a sales limitation imposed by Apple, not an export compliance issue.