Why is it impossible for Time Machine to work with Mavericks server?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by pprior, May 20, 2014.

1. pprior macrumors 65816

I've had a mini server for several years. Since upgrading to Mavericks I -=CANNOT=- get time machine to reliably back up.

I am running latest server OS on the mini-server, and latest update of Mavericks on machines.

I've tried everything I can think of including reinstalling the server OS, wiping all backups completely from the attached drives, nothing works.

What happens:

I select network disk on remote machine, it states "enter your name and password for the server so that time machine can access it"

I do that, and then I get:

Time machine can't access the backup disk "backups-1" The operation couldn't be completed (OSStatus error 2.)

It shouldn't be difficult to just use a server for time machine backup - that's basically ALL this computer needs to do!

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

that is interesting. I am using a mac mini with mavericks server to backup 5 Macs here at home with Time Machine.

3. peterlemer macrumors newbie

error 2 solution

I was stuck with error 2, and after much experimentation and googling, when I logged in to Time Machine as admin rather then User, it worked immediately.

pete