Why is it impossible to partition the TM volume???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Jan 20, 2008.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I have a 320gb external used for TM and it currently only is about 100gb full. I want to make a 50gb partition with FAT32 so I can transfer files between Mac and Windows easily (in boot camp). when I go to disk utility, and select the drive, all the partitioning options are grayed out... what is going on?

2. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried both... neither work! selecting the volume doesnt even give me a partition tab. if i select the drive, i get the tab, but all the options are gray. the partition map picture is just white (no blue to show how full it is).

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Sorry, deleted my previous post, it was pointless. The Partition tab only appears when the drive is selected. Are you logged on as a user with sufficient privileges? Try posting a screen shot of the Disk Utility window with the drive selected, give us a better idea what may be the issue.

4. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, first is the picture with my external drive selected. I can't do anything really.

Next is with my internal volume selected. Notice how there is little diagonal lines in the corner of my Mac partition that i can drag to resize the partition. The smaller partition is my Boot Camp partition.

Attached Files:

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

First use the drop-down (see pic), then modify the new partition to FAT.

Attached Files:

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

so, i select "2 partitions"? it makes 2 equally sized partitions.... will this not delete all my data?

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

When you select the number of partitions, you can adjust the size of each prior to committing. Unfortunately, even in Leopard an initial split is destructive, but iPartition will manage live partitioning nondestructively. It isn't Leopard-certified yet, as I recall.

8. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, that sucks. i should have partitioned it when i first got i then...

vmware fusion allows copying directly between mac and windows right? i might buy that and load it to my BC partition.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I don't know about Fusion (it is likely the case), but Parallels allows that, in fact launching Parallels using the BC partition, no additional bottle required.

Remember that for copying between Mac & PC, FAT allows RW in both directions, but the MacOS is read-only from NTFS.

10. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

I once used Volumeworks to succesfully partition a drive with content on it. That worked fine but i don't know if there is a Leopard version of this program.

Check out versiontracker to find out more.

11. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went out and bought VMWare fusion and it works perfectly. I set it up to run of my BC partition, and now I can just drag files from explorer into finder, or onto the desktop. It's pretty spiffy. thanks for all the help John.

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

There is a free utility that allows Windows to import from HFS+ volumes, called "HFS Explorer". If all you need is occasional transfers to Windows, it might be good enough. Mac can read NTFS anyways.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Anytime for a Zeppelin junkie!