why is it necessary to have leopard for the sdk?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyp, Jun 17, 2008.

1. heyp macrumors 6502

this may be a dumb question, but can someone please explain?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I think Apple didnt want to spend additional resources and funds to develop XCode for both Windoze and Mac. The IDE was already available for Mac so perhaps they went that route.

Also maybe to get people over to Mac from Windoze. If you want to develop for iPhone, you need to go BUY a Mac.

This is what I think...

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

I think the question was why does it require Leopard (10.5.3 in fact) versus Tiger or older versions of OS X.

The answer is simply that there are certain technologies in Leopard that the iPhone SDK requires.

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

oopps... sorry

5. firewood macrumors 604

The iPhone 3G version of OS X uses a mini version of Leopard with many of the newest OS X features. The simulator would crash if Leopard weren't available to support all those new APIs. Plus a copy of Leopard means you've already been granted a license for some of the Leopard frameworks required to compile a iPhone 2.0 app.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That is true. My guess is that it would take like a year to port XCode (usually when you have a project like porting, you don't send the entire Apple team to do it...maybe like one or two people). By that time, serious developers would have enough money to get a Mac Mini.

7. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

So they can sell Tiger holdout developers a copy of Leopard :)