Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Look at how this article from a random "tech" website discusses how Snow Leopard didn't get a security update recently.

http://news.techeye.net/software/apple-betrays-its-snow-leopard-users

It opens up with with a picture that portrays mac users as being pretentious snobs with "no girlfriend" whereas windows users are all "just happy".
I'm a mac user with a girlfriend and I'm quite happy?

Then it claims how apple is forcing users to move on from 10.6 to 10.9 with an "expensive upgrade". Exactly how is "$0" expensive? It's a free upgrade. Arguments about weather or not to upgrade, this is just blatantly false information.

Apparently it's just totally acceptable to have an article that deliberately insults, not makes fun of, mac users and has facts that aren't true. Poking fun at both sides is a bit of fun but this seems like ignorant flame war tinder, written by somebody that has never seen a mac in their life.

Why is this so normal? :/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like a site that wishes to bash apple. I tend to avoid those sites, i.e., not rewarding them for such unnecessarily negative and inaccurate reporting.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. This is that guy's opinion. And the article makes him look far worse than it makes Apple look.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Personally, I agree with the article. For the price of their hardware, Apple's software support is awful, ditching older software nearly as soon as its successor is released. It has certainly put me off buying new Apple hardware.

Now their OSs are free, I guess it isn't as bad since there is little excuse not to upgrade (unless your machine is deemed too old). But I would love to see Apple put some more effort in supporting their older software. My iMac G4 cannot run the latest iTunes and yet the even older XP family desktop can, simply because of Apple's habit of ditching support fast.

Some parts of that article are too eager to attack and are over-zealous, but overall I agree with the message it has. It is easy to find an article bashing pretty much anything on the internet.

T.Doyobi

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2013
Yes I think roadbloc makes a good point, and I apologise if I go slightly off topic here but what I've never understood is people that hate Apple computers/products that have actually never used them. I know this sounds strange but honestly I have met several people with this attitude. I would understand if a person has used Mac's or OS X and decided they don't like it for whatever reason. But to diss something when you have no experience of it frustrates me. Personally I have been using OS X since it came out and in my opinion I prefer it to Windows. I also have a PC with win 7 that I use for gaming but my preference is the Mac environment. But that's after experience of both. Why hate something when you have no experience of using it? Strange.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yes I think roadbloc makes a good point, and I apologise if I go slightly off topic here but what I've never understood is people that hate Apple computers/products that have actually never used them. I know this sounds strange but honestly I have met several people with this attitude. I would understand if a person has used Mac's or OS X and decided they don't like it for whatever reason. But to diss something when you have no experience of it frustrates me. Personally I have been using OS X since it came out and in my opinion I prefer it to Windows. I also have a PC with win 7 that I use for gaming but my preference is the Mac environment. But that's after experience of both. Why hate something when you have no experience of using it? Strange.

It all comes down to dumb people being dumb on the internet.

See, there are some PC users out there who think Mac users are too stupid to use anything else, and the only reason why they they like their Macs is because they feel like they have to justify spending all that money for what's really nothing more than a hobbled toy computer. On the flip side, there are some Mac users out there who think that only Apple makes quality products, everything else is poorly built garbage that doesn't work half the time, and that PC users are too stupid and narrow minded to accept this one very simple truth.

These people are like the cats and dogs of the tech world. They hit up every tech site they can to smear each other every chance they get, and start tons upon tons of completely pointless flame wars just because they happen to like one computer better than another. Even worse, sometimes one of these people get into a position where they can voice their opinions to a much wider audience, which ends up spurring on others to perpetuate the neverending Mac Vs. PC war.

And you know what? It's dumb. Don't worry about it.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Its measuring apple with a microsoft yard stick. MS would love to kill their older versions, drop them off the face of the earth. But as with google, users are segmented into so many groups, they literally cant afford it. microsofts weakness is not apples problem to fix.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Great conversation. Both environments can be equally enjoyed. All depends on what your individual uses are. I use PC's at work because the machines I work on are linked to them. My home is all Mac. Both situations work for me. This is why I never pay attention to the trivial bashing that goes on, be it Apple or MS.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
This whole argument stems from the 90s when Windows fanboys said Windows is better because it's on more computers. Also these same fanboys bragging about a small difference in CPU core speed. We all remember the "your mac sucks because it's a 1.0 ghz and my Windows is a 1.2 ghz" machine crap. Old and tired arguments never die. Now the Android fanboys are using the same old tired argument.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Now their OSs are free, I guess it isn't as bad since there is little excuse not to upgrade (unless your machine is deemed too old). But I would love to see Apple put some more effort in supporting their older software. My iMac G4 cannot run the latest iTunes and yet the even older XP family desktop can, simply because of Apple's habit of ditching support fast.

They don't give you much reason _to_ upgrade, either. I still use 10.6.8 at home, and plan to keep on doing so until my iMac fails. It's stable and reliable, unlike, apparently, Mavericks. The new iTunes is terrible. At this point I am not adopting any new software unless it also exists in a Linux version (which is waht my laptop runs on).

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
As I've said before...ad infinitum, ad nauseam... who cares?

If one is pleased with their device (no matter it's manufacturer), why would what others say be of any significance...unless one as some unfortunate over attachment to a particular manufacturer.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Why do they always feel compelled to use the no girlfriend argument?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I think it's because a group of people choosing something different and actually willing to pay more for it makes the pc users have some doubts about THEIR choice. Or some feel bad because they can't afford to make a choice in computers and have to use the computer their boss issues them. So, to combat that doubt and/or shame, they have to make the other choice sound bad. Kind of like guys driving Fords and Chevys make fun of guys who drive expensive sports cars. They say almost the same general things. Apple users are "braggers", only do it for the "looks", think they are "better" than other people. Insecurity is not an attractive trait.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Because Macs are toys, meant for kids, idiots and rich people who need to blow their money on useless machines.

(/sarcasm)

Nevermind the fact that the great Gandalf uses a Mac...

Attachments

• gandalf-the-grey-mac-user.jpg
    gandalf-the-grey-mac-user.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 916

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Who said it was normal to ridicule Mac users?

Anyway, I'm a Mac user without a girlfriend and I'll never have one for that matter.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I've never been ridiculed for being a Mac owner, nor do I know anyone who has. And I highly doubt that it's "normal".

I've had pc people give me a hard time and had to listen to their stories about how they made their own super PC that's soooooo much better and cheaper. Most of them have now converted to Mac, though, lol. Just have to be patient.

FWIW- I'll never have a girlfriend, either, because I'm not a lesbian.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
We all remember the "your mac sucks because it's a 1.0 ghz and my Windows is a 1.2 ghz" machine *.
In the era of these desktop CPU clocks, PowerPC was far more clock-efficient than x86.

NetBurst was a huge nasty marketing ploy.

Old and tired arguments never die. Now the Android fanboys are using the same old tired argument.
It doesn't apply much to Android nowadays.

Every major revision of Android has been more efficient than the last one. With pre-7 Windows it's exactly the opposite.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Poking fun at both sides is a bit of fun but this seems like ignorant flame war tinder, written by somebody that has never seen a mac in their life.
Nah, they're just messing with you. The cartoon is 'funny because it's true', and I love the term 'Fruity Cargo Cult'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.