Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lit Up*

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I've been looking around the internet for ages. Lots of themes to download but nothing definitive that says how to do it...

I've jailbroken my phone, installed cydia, installed Winterboard... now what?!

something about sticking things into my iphone via a file system access...

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Seriously ??

Pick something in Cydia you want, install it, let the springboard restart, open WB and checkmark it, let the springboard restart, poof...done.

Very easy !

Lit Up*

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
what about stuff that isn't on cydia?

why do I see people referring to going into the file system?

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
The iPhone OS is based on a form of UNIX, just like Linux. It has a very specific and detailed file structure and it requires just a bit of knowledge of it before you do anything to it. Using a program like winscp lets you set up an SSH session to transfer files from your computer to the file system of the iPhone.

Lots of people make their own themes and let people use them and modify them, but they don't turn their themes into downloadable packages to be put on the repositories in Cydia.

I think doing it this way, through the forums, is probably the best way to get your work and your name out there. Stuff gets loster than lost in Cydia.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
A perfect example of why some people should NOT jailbreak. Flame away but I really believe that more people need to do more homework before they do something that can really trash their phone.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
A perfect example of why some people should NOT jailbreak. Flame away but I really believe that more people need to do more homework before they do something that can really trash their phone.

At the same time, sometimes this is honestly the best way to learn. You really can't do any harm besides break the ability to use your phone until you restore. Of course if they are going to hop online to their favorite forum and whine about it because they did break it, than that's a different story.

I can't tell you how many times growing up I trashed my main OS boot floppy or had to reinstall my whole operating system because I was messing around too much. It's all what has helped me become a competent IT professional now.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I had to spend some time learning how to tweak a theme, it can take a while to learn the smaller details like how to set the weather widgets or change out app icons.

Ifile and gridlock (cydia apps) are your friends, you will want them both.

Also check out modmyi.com they have threads about various themes and detailed instructions on how to use them.

http://modmyi.com/forums/new-skins-themes-launches/

look at the forum for your device and have fun. Im using timelessHD and like it a lot, also had 1derful, it was cool but i didnt like the ipod theme. If you read through the forums and still get stuck you can PM me and I'll try to help you out.

crazycanucks

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I've been looking around the internet for ages. Lots of themes to download but nothing definitive that says how to do it...

I've jailbroken my phone, installed cydia, installed Winterboard... now what?!

something about sticking things into my iphone via a file system access...

Well what do you want to do? A google search or even a youtube search will provide you with answers as well.

Like iPhone-power said,
Pick something in Cydia you want, install it, let the springboard restart, open WB and checkmark it, let the springboard restart, poof...done.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
what about stuff that isn't on cydia?

why do I see people referring to going into the file system?

To install a theme outside of cydia, just download the theme, then rename the theme folder xxxx.theme(e.g suavehd.theme). Then you need to transfer it onto your phone and place it in the library\themes\ folder. You musy have Winterboard installed already on your phone.

To transfer it, use iPhone Explorer since you are on a mac, ifunbox if you were on a PC. These programs allow you to drag and drop the folder without dealing with SSH hassles.

http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

If you cant access the full file system, install afc2add from cydia and try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.