Why is it so difficult to get the Apple case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by richard371, May 23, 2010.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I can understand iPad shortages as they are far more comples to make. Have to wait a month for the Apple case or pay double price for it. Frustrating.

2. funkeruski macrumors regular

3. h1w1nd macrumors member

[​IMG]

$30 more for a case... it's people like you that keep the prices jacked up on ebay.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

guess you never went to business school. newsflash, it's called supply and demand. there would not be a single Apple case for sale on ebay if the sellers couldn't make a few bucks on them. this guy bought one for $70 and is happy. he is not guilty of anything.

do you really think someone would drive to an apple store (using gas which is not free), find a parking spot, go into the Apple store with the hopes of finding a few cases in stock, stand in line to pay for them, drive back home, post them for sale on ebay (which is not free), pack them up in envelopes (again, not free) and ship them out, for a lousy $10 per case, when they bought maybe 5 or 10 of them? would you do that? it's not like you can just waltz in and buy 100 of them at a time. by all accounts, most stores can barely keep them in stock.

FYI the case costs Apple about $2-$3 to make. they're charging $40. don't see you complaining about that...

5. h1w1nd macrumors member

There's a thing called a telephone, you can call the apple store without driving to see if they have some...

Go preach to someone who cares. :rolleyes:

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

yeah, you're right. anyone who sells anything should only make $5. send me a postcard from Moscow.

7. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I'll Paypal you the $30 differential just to stop the whining. You spent over $500 on an oversized iPod touch that you don't need, but an extra $30 is important to you? That's lunch money. That's a ticket and popcorn to a 90 minute movie. Shut up.

BJ

Posted from my iPad 3G/64GB/$829

8. h1w1nd macrumors member

I'm good, you know where you can shove that $30... :D

-Posted from my iPad 3G/64GB :eek:

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The OP must not be real good at surfing eBay. My Apple Store only had the sleeves available for the iPad when I bought mine. Since it is almost a $900 expenditure I shelled out the $40 for the sleeve.

Then I went on eBay and found this which cost $11.84 including shipping. So, I had to buy it from Hong Kong. Who cares.

[​IMG]

10. funkeruski macrumors regular

My sincerest apologies. :p

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

Umm considering the OP is looking for an original Apple case, which the crappy $11 is not, I'm not surprised he "missed" it.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I don't find that case any more or less "crappy" than Apple's case. I'm really not all that impressed with the Apple case and I had it included for free with the used iPad I just bought. The whole crimped edge join thing makes it look like a neoprene ziplock baggie IMO. But heck if they are going for $70 on eBay and I have the box....hmmmmmm.

That said, the $11 one looks like a modified picture frame.

13. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I've grown to really like the apple case. the edgeing seam offers a nice buffer for bumps against the edges. this allows the case to stay slim. A must for me. why bulk up the ipad with a fat case, when it took a lot to create such a thin form function tablet. .
    if they could make a similarly thin case with a better finish material, like a real leather or a suede, I'd like it even more.
    I buy used iPads and have amassed quite a few Apple covers, and somehow they quickly disappear to eager buyers!

14. stephg macrumors member

stephg

Ordered my apple case May 2 & it just got delivered today. 22 days is not bad and no added charges. So far I love it!

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The Apple stores do get stock of these. Just find out when they get deliveries and get there that day. I was there a few hours after the shipment came in and they had plenty... but they were flying off the shelves fast.

16. Houls macrumors member

Apple Case

I have one next to me collecting dust. Literally and figuratively. I just bought a Macally Bookstand. I'm still deciding which I prefer.

17. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

Why not just buy the case from Apple and WAIT for delivery. jeez.

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's hard to get hold of because...
    1, the sweatshop that makes them dosnt have 400,000 workers like foxconns hell hole.
    2, quite a few smart Americans are cashing in by purchasing handfulls of the buggers and flogging them for a markup!

19. theturtle macrumors 6502a

if you call in and ask, will they tell you if they receive shipment that day or not?

20. patp Guest

21. mytran80 macrumors regular

My apple store knows me pretty well , since I go there about 3 times a week it's only 4 blocks from my house , here's the scoop they've been sold out of the apple case 3 times since April 3rd , each time they restock them , they stocked 6 pegs full about 13 cases squeezed into each peg rack , the apple case is indeed popular

22. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

What's particularly baffling is how popular the case is, given that real world reviews of it have been - at best - mixed.

23. Star56 macrumors member

It is actually a good case. I have two ipads and have purchased a variety of cases for them. Some cheap Ebay cases, an expensive hand sewn case from Spain and two Apple cases. I keep coming back to the Apple cases. The do the job, I like the fell of them and they are very functional and thin.

24. Houls macrumors member

One day and I've already switched back to my Apple case. The bookstand is great for propping up to view videos, etc...but the cover is just a little too floppy for me. The Apple case is snug and well built. I'll be returning the MacAlly case.

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

All that says is that the competitions' cases are even harder to obtain. It is easier for people to walk in to an Apple store or Best Buy and pick one up (when in stock) than to surf the 'net looking for a competitive case to be in stock online.

I have the Apple case... it is far from perfect, but it is functional. I had a tough time tracking down a Macally Bookstand, which IMO is nicer. But I finally found one.

I suspect that as availability of other cases improves, the demand for the Apple case will decline.