Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prizm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
I can buy a standard full size PC keyboard for $10, but it is so hard to find the equivalent for my iMac.

Basically, you're either stuck with a chiclet style keyboard, or an oversized monstrosity with disco lights that you have to turn off with every boot. That's if you can find one that doesn't have re-jiggled key locations, and that actually has the official Function shortcuts in the right place.

dEOmFjd.jpg

All I want is a cheap one of these with official Mac keycaps.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Because there just isn't a large enough market for mechanical keyboards for the Mac. There are some out there (DasKeyboard), but they are expensive. If you want cheap, you gotta stick with the more chiclet style keyboards.

Last edited:

Chuck Rodent

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
Given how much I use my keyboard, I was willing to pay the price for a mechanical version. The Das Keyboard is 6 years old, used every day, and shows no wear.

Prizm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Because there just isn't a large enough market for mechanical keyboards for the Mac.

Oh, I don't care if it's mechanical or not. I'm just surprised how difficult it is to get a basic keyboard with standard sized keys.

Thanks, but I'd probably hide that thing if I had guests over haha

Ever notice that third party keyboards almost never have both icons for Command and Option? The Option icon is almost always missing. Not even the Das Keyboard has the icons. Which I would personally find a bit confusing as I'm new to Mac. EDIT: I notice even many Macbooks don't have the Option icon, yet the icon is used when Mac software illustrates a keyboard shortcut. Talk about confusing the end user.

Last edited:

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I wouldn't limit the search to "Mac keyboards". Just use whatever keyboard you want. If it turns out to be a Windows keyboard, then you're hitting the windows key instead of a command key and an alt key instead of an option key. You can always print out some labels and stick them on the keys :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.