Why is it such an epic whip to update my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Deguello, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Deguello macrumors 6502

Every update since I got it out of the box is a hassle. Unknown error 9, unknown error 13, unknown error 6, unknown error X.

I've checked for iTunes updates. I've rebooted. I've tried every USB port on the machine. I've deleted the IPSW file.

I put off 2.1 for as long as I did because I knew I'd need at least a whole afternoon to get it installed and, not surprisingly, that appears to be the case. Lovely.

Is there anything to try other than repeating the same thing over and over and hoping that one time it magically works?

Does 2.1 fix Safari randomly crashing while I'm not interacting with it at all, other than reading what it is displaying? (PC, not Mac.)

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Like a beautiful snowflake, your experience seems to be unique. At this point you should realize you either have a problem with the hardware/OS or you are doing something to cause the problems. Take it to a genius and have them flash 2.1 on it since it appears you are not on the latest release.

3. Deguello thread starter macrumors 6502

My Google search for "iPhone 'unknown error'" returns a sufficiently large number of hits that I think your conclusion that my situation is "unique" is refuted. Thanks for giving me the Apple party line, though.

It seems unlikely that both of my desktops and both of my laptops have "hardware/OS" problems. Since the only thing I am doing is plugging one end of the Appled-provided USB cable into my computer(s) and the other end into the iPhone, it's not exactly clear to me what, exactly, I could be doing wrong by clicking the iTunes prompts to update my iPhone and then watching it fail. Again, thanks, though, for ridding me of my ill-conceived notion that my iPhone may not be perfect.