Why is iTunes Selling NEW NBC SHOWS?!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by christall109, Nov 1, 2007.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Well today I got the video spotlight... and low and behold its scrubs season 7!

I'm sorry did I miss something? Why is iTunes selling the new season of Scrubs?

2. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Scrubs is owned not even produced by NBC, it is produced by Buena Vista, who, if you remember, is owned by Disney, and guess who's on the board of directors of Disney? Mr. Steve Jobs.:)

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Possibly that, but I think the NBC / iTunes contract ends in December thus they are responsible for delivering content until then.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

they're probably keeping a small presence there so they can build it up without too many people noticing them coming crawling back in a year's time after their experiments go arse up. :rolleyes:

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

to earn some extra money so that the shareholders should be happy.

6. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yea that's what I think their strategy is. Leave not-so-popular shows on iTunes and see if they do well (which they won't). Thus that proves that Hulu was a good idea.... :rolleyes:

7. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I wouldn't hold your breath. Don't get me wrong, I like iTunes and wish I still had that choice, but I think all of NBC's new ventures will be more successful for them.

Most people still use PCs and I would be bet that the vast majority of people who own iPod with video playback capability don't watch that much video on it (or any at all). It is more of a novelty.

And the big thing is that people like things that are free. More people will consume the content and more money will be made from ads then from selling the shows on iTunes.

In my opinion, NBC should have done everything they are doing and still kept the content on iTunes, giving consumers a choice. But I don't think selling shows on iTunes meant all that much bottom line wise to NBC and they didn't think there was much potential to grow there. I think they may be right, especially considering the shoddy way Apple strong arms content providers. They don't have anywhere near the muscle in video distribution as they do with music. The iTunes Movie store is still lame.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Wow so there IS a fan of Scrubs...Who woulda thought :p

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes, but...

I like TV shows on iTunes.

How many people watch TV shows on their computer? I like being able to download shows so that I can watch them anytime, either on my computer, iPod or TV.

10. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

i gusses thats why they are selling Scrubs and he is the largest share holderof Disney

11. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I like timeshifting TV shows but find that I do not watch them more than 2 or 3 times. I have downloaded a bunch of them and after the initial watching I tend to put them on disc for storage and forget about them. The idea of watching a show when you like is great, but in reality, how much re-watchability does any show on TV today have? Concidering that all of the actual good shows go into some sort of rerun syndication anyways. Take CSI for example. Why buy any of those shows, when you can turn on the CSI channel (SpikeTV) and watch just about any episode. Unless you really have to watch that one episode of McGyver over and over again, the rewatchability of just about any show is little to none. Thats why TV shows on DVD make no sense to me.