Why is LED not as great as I think it is?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Dec 28, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

the led isnt that much brighter compared to the non led lit displays.
    my 24imac at the LOWEST brightness is equivalent to my unibody mbp 2/3 blocks from the max

..am i missing something here?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

One is a desktop, the other is a laptop.

3. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Sorry to say this, but is the brightness up fully?

Edit: Sorry, didnt read the post. Ignore me.

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

You should be comparing it to another laptop, not a desktop..

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Because your imac has a much better display and your macbook pro has a crappy TN panel.

Also try comparing the 24" LED ACD side by side with the imac, the 24" LED ACD looks much more vivid due to the LED backlighting technology but your imac (if brand new that the ccfl lamps have not dimmed yet) might be slightly brighter but less contrast and vivid than the 24" LED ACD.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The main advantage of LED isn't necessarily brightness (and you are comparing desktop to notebook as already noted). It's the instant on and the fact it doesn't dim nearly as much over time. Your iMac takes a couple of minutes to reach full brightness but the MBP is instantly at full brightness. A higher benefit for a dimmer laptop. Compare non-LED notebooks screens after a year of usage and you will see they have dimmed a lot. An LED screen should be almost as bright after a year of usage.

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

Bingo... That said, my MBP @ about 3 bars below full roughly equals the two desktop LCDs I typically use.

8. kolax macrumors G3

I find it hard to believe that at the lowest brightness on your iMac the MacBook Pro isn't brighter.

Go to System Preferences --> Displays and turn off "automatically adjust....as light changes" then turn your MacBook Pro to full brightness.

The screen is very bright.

9. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

not bright? mine scorches my frickin eyes off!

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Even with my early 08 Macbook I have the brightness at 50-60%.

11. naid macrumors regular

The MBP has an IPS panel. And yeah, OP should be comparing apples to apples, so a comparison between an iMac and a 24" LED display would be appropriate.

12. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Does the OP's handle mean what I think it does? :eek:

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No, it doesn't. There isn't a single notebook on the market today that has an IPS panel. The 24" iMac does, but the MBP is TN.

15. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I can't find any info on that screen. There's nothing to imply an IPS screen. Since nobody else offers one, you would think they would advertise it if they did. My understanding is that IBM used to offer an IPS option (pre-widescreen thinkpad models) but that the option was dropped since there was only one supplier who couldn't guarantee delivery. I don't think any of the current notebook LCD suppliers make any notebook IPS screens.

18. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Yeash. You should compare the new laptop with the last model and have both of them plugged in to the power supply and then test it.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My X60 has a IPS panel.

20. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

My iMac and my MacBook are not close to comparable. The iMac far outshines the display of the MacBook. That's fine though, because one is a desktop and one is for my lap.

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

That's from a couple of years ago, isn't it? There were some thinkpads that used to have an IPS option but as far as I know you cannot get a new one with an IPS screen for any price. They just don't make them anymore.

22. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yep, Lenovo had a string of laptops with "Flexview" screens. Those were IPS, but that was a while back.

23. infernohellion macrumors 6502

The iMac brightness range is quite bad too. Not much difference from max to min brightness on iMac.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah it's almost 2 years old. I mean the X61 was IPS and you can still buy them.