Why is Macintosh HD so Screwed up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by txhockey9404, Aug 24, 2008.

1. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I just recently had to reformat my drive because of some problems I was having. When I reformatted, I partitioned the drive into 2 sections (Macintosh HD for normal use, and Backup for emergencies). When I finished setting up, I noticed that my root folder had more folders than usual. Is this normal? Are they screwed up? Can I move them? Why are they there? Sorry for so many questions, but I find this a bit odd. Attached is the root folder of Macintosh HD

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you enable the viewing of hidden files/folders?

Please don't try to delete those lower case files/folders.

/etc <3

3. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, all I did was install Microsoft Office, some Apps I had on my old system, and my documents, music and pictures. Haven't touched Terminal yet

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Those are just shortcuts to those folders (notice the arrow on the folder) -- don't worry about it ... just leave it -- it's not taking up an more then 4 bytes per folder. (the contents to where it connects will be a lot more) but don't worry about it

with that said -- partitioning really won't protect you if the HD fries ... since it's still all on the same hard drive

5. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. Thanks for the help. Is it OK to delete the aliases, because I just don't like having my folders all cluttered?

6. Templex macrumors regular

Every folder and alias there is needed to keep your computer running correctly, except for the user guides one. Those extra folders should be hidden, though, so that's weird.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No. Do not delete those files, you will break your system.

8. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

You want to go into Terminal and punch in (make sure you're not copying any files or anything):
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE; killall Finder

9. SailorTom macrumors regular

This happened to me once with my install. they should be hidden but show up even though the finder isn't showing hidden files

I re-installed OS X for another reason and cleared the problem up.

My theory is that mounting your HD from classic (i.e in sheepshaver) causes them to become 'unhidden'. of course thats a pretty wild theory and i have no solid evidence to back it up. it could just as easily be something

On no accounts delete the files though.

10. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, no deleting.

@Shadow-I did what you said, and it just relaunched Finder, no change to the root folder.

@revenuee-I just made a second system partition so that if something happens to my main partition in terms of the OS, I can go over to that partition to extract the files from the other before reinstalling the OS (I wish I had that before, because my internet would not connect AT ALL, but I could use the networked drive I have-odd)

Is there a way I can at least hide those files like they should be?

11. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

From your post it appears that your HD is the only place where your files are stored. Don't forget to make backups! Leopard makes it easy.

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the folders/files that should be invisible are bin, cores, etc, mach_kernel, sbin, tmp, var and Volumes. Users Guides And Information is visible by default.

do you have Apple's Developer tools installed by any chance? if not install them and then do the fix in post #11 here. treblah has the exact same problem as you.

13. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, I have a Time Machine drive attached to an Airport Extreme for backups; the partition is just for troubleshooting.

14. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did what that post said, and it worked perfectly!!

Thanks for your help everyone!