Why...is....mail..doing....this !?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jman995x, Jan 30, 2014.

1. jman995x macrumors regular

I have about 6 different email accounts, mostly GMail, all set up in Apple's "Mail" program.

I have been told that whichever Mail account is at the top of the Mail sidebar will be the default email when I click the Compose icon.

HOWEVER, I've come to find out that emails that I've been sending to friends regarding a surprise party for my wife have been sent from my and my wife's JOINT account and at least one person replied to the email I sent out. I don't know if my wife has seen the reply yet, but I am LIVID!!!!

Why would "Mail" just randomly pick which email account it is going to send something from. This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened. Mail has decided to send work stuff from my personal account, and personal stuff from my work account.

Why the hell is Mail doing this?

J.

2. firedept, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

"I have been told that whichever Mail account is at the top of the Mail sidebar will be the default email when I click the Compose icon." I am not sure this holds true. It may put them in order you want them, but I am not sure the top one becomes the default one. These can easily be moved around at will. Simply drag the individual email inbox icons for your accounts in the Mail sidebar to the order you want them to appear and restart Mail.

This is how I have made sure the one I want as a default is chosen:

Mail app can be set to send it from a chosen address. I can only think it would be random because of a setting in your Preferences. Open Preferences>Composing>Addressing>Send new messages from: (choose the email address you want to use as default).

Then when you go to compose a new email, it should be choosing that email address by default. If you then need a different email address just choose a different one from the drop down in the new message you created.

Hope this helps.

3. jman995x thread starter macrumors regular

I just did what you said.
    I wish I had known that earlier instead of relying on blogger or webpage that stated that whichever email account is that the top of the sidebar is the default. Could've saved me a lot of aggravation.

Thanks,

J.