Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKPoliticsGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Mail does a half arsed job at junk filtering. I'm running OS X 10.11.1

It doesn't even pick up blatantly junk emails (Nigerian prices, the blue pill and get rich quick schemes).

How do I fix this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How long have you been using Mail and are you marking the spam as junk when it comes though? It takes some time to "train" the junk filter what to look for.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Weaselboy is correct.

Most users rely on the spam filtering provided by their email hosts (and turn the filter in Mail "off", I'm thinking). I'm guessing your provider doesn't have a good one?

Reactions: Weaselboy

UKPoliticsGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Weaselboy is correct.

Most users rely on the spam filtering provided by their email hosts (and turn the filter in Mail "off", I'm thinking). I'm guessing your provider doesn't have a good one?

My provider is iCloud. Junk filtering is 'on' in Mail, though I haven't been telling it what's Junk (something that GMail does perfectly without prompt)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My provider is iCloud. Junk filtering is 'on' in Mail, though I haven't been telling it what's Junk (something that GMail does perfectly without prompt)
Yeah... you have to tell it what is junk or the filter won't know on its own. Start marking the junk that gets through and you should see the filter improve.

spam@icloud.com

Also, if the spam came in to your iCloud email address, forward the message as an attachment to this email address and that will help Apple improve the server side spam filters.

Reactions: UKPoliticsGuy

UKPoliticsGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Yeah... you have to tell it what is junk or the filter won't know on its own. Start marking the junk that gets through and you should see the filter improve.

spam@icloud.com

Also, if the spam came in to your iCloud email address, forward the message as an attachment to this email address and that will help Apple improve the server side spam filters.

Thank You :)

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.