Why is Maps always running?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amino Man, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Amino Man macrumors 6502

I downloaded a System Monitoring app too see why my battery seems to be draining fast and it shows that Maps is running. I do nit have Maps in my app switcher and I even force rebooted my iPhone 4. I also tried turning off location services.

Nothing seems to want to shut Maps down. What's the deal?

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

do you have iHud or any other app like that uses location services? check what apps are using location services and kill them and see which one is staying on in the background causing the issue

3. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no other location-aware apps. I just realized I spelled "always" wrong in the title.

4. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's the app you used to discover that? Are you positive maps is running and the monitoring app is not just showing you a list of apps that are still in the RAM? Because if that's the case, it's not a problem.

I don't know this one way or the other, I'm just asking if the system monitor you're using is being clear...perhaps it's not explaining what it's showing you very well.

6. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

System Lite

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just tried it and it seems that phone, mail, and maps are the 3 things I can never totally kill.

If I had to guess I'd say this program is using the name "maps" to describe various things the OS is doing in relation to location services, and perhaps they always run, just like the phone.

I'm just speculating, maybe someone else who knows can explain it to us.

8. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried iStat and it doesn't show maps running. So maybe like you said, SYSTEM Lite is just calling the location services "Maps" to simplify it. However, I wonder why they'd do that because they also provide a list of the various daemons that are running.