Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I downloaded a System Monitoring app too see why my battery seems to be draining fast and it shows that Maps is running. I do nit have Maps in my app switcher and I even force rebooted my iPhone 4. I also tried turning off location services.

Nothing seems to want to shut Maps down. What's the deal?

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
do you have iHud or any other app like that uses location services? check what apps are using location services and kill them and see which one is staying on in the background causing the issue

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
do you have iHud or any other app like that uses location services? check what apps are using location services and kill them and see which one is staying on in the background causing the issue

I have no other location-aware apps. I just realized I spelled "always" wrong in the title.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I downloaded a System Monitoring app too see why my battery seems to be draining fast and it shows that Maps is running.

What's the app you used to discover that? Are you positive maps is running and the monitoring app is not just showing you a list of apps that are still in the RAM? Because if that's the case, it's not a problem.

I don't know this one way or the other, I'm just asking if the system monitor you're using is being clear...perhaps it's not explaining what it's showing you very well.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
What's the app you used to discover that? Are you positive maps is running and the monitoring app is not just showing you a list of apps that are still in the RAM? Because if that's the case, it's not a problem.

I don't know this one way or the other, I'm just asking if the system monitor you're using is being clear...perhaps it's not explaining what it's showing you very well.

System Lite

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Just tried it and it seems that phone, mail, and maps are the 3 things I can never totally kill.

If I had to guess I'd say this program is using the name "maps" to describe various things the OS is doing in relation to location services, and perhaps they always run, just like the phone.

I'm just speculating, maybe someone else who knows can explain it to us.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Just tried it and it seems that phone, mail, and maps are the 3 things I can never totally kill.

If I had to guess I'd say this program is using the name "maps" to describe various things the OS is doing in relation to location services, and perhaps they always run, just like the phone.

I'm just speculating, maybe someone else who knows can explain it to us.

I just tried iStat and it doesn't show maps running. So maybe like you said, SYSTEM Lite is just calling the location services "Maps" to simplify it. However, I wonder why they'd do that because they also provide a list of the various daemons that are running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.