why is MBP 371's SATA HD Drive so sucking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montblanc1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

Now that since MBP 371 has a pretty powerful core i 5 2.4GHz processor with turbo boost, it should be s small working station at home!

While the fact is that, the speed of MBA 11.6" is faster than MBP 371 for most of daily tasks, so why bother using MBP provioded that it's way much heavier than MBA? Why don't use MBA and everybody is happier?

Seems that the SATA HD drive is to blame for the sucking speed, so where can I replace it with SSD drive? Apple online service don't support that, right?

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I'm guessing you're not willing to replace it yourself?

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Because the flash that is used in the MBA is substantially more $$$/Gb than what you can get in a mechanical drive.

Apple does offer their own SSDs as a BTO option. Dunno if you can get the factory option the fact.

You can also put your own in. There are plenty of threads on this. Just determine your price/gb ratio, then find an SSD that works.

4. montblanc1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

I am just wondering what size and model ssd could be installed on my MBP, because I don't want to bother changing it myself, so I would like Apple to replace it for me, but Apple just won't, even if I'm willing to pay the approporate money:(

Where Can I buy the reliable and high quality SSD online? Any recommendation?? Thx!

5. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

It is.

The MBA "feels" faster because it's all solid state technology, especially the hard drive, which is flash memory, vs a standard (mechanical) hard drive in the MBP. But the 371 MBP kills any MBA in speed and power with regards to processor, graphics and front side BUS. And you can always install a solid state drive in the MBP to match those "speeds" of the MBA.

As far as use, the MBA is intented for the light-duty user (web browsing, word processor, e-mail, etc.), while the MBP is intended for the medium-heavy duty user (all the light-duty stuff + intensive apps and workloads). Figure out what you use a computer for and see which best serves you. Note that heavy-duty users may benefit with an MBA (or iPad) as a 2nd computer/device, for the light-duty work, reserving the MBP for heavy lifting.

The MBA offers great convenience in the form of light weight, thin portability, and flash memory speed for those daily tasks, i.e. e-mail. The MBP offers a "desktop in the palm of your hands" portable solution. It's a full computer, available in larger screen sizes with i5/i7 processors, lighted keyboard and a hi-res display, which is great to replace the home desktop once and for all.

We will likely see the MBA's features in future Macbooks and Macbook Pros. I think the MBA is Apple's test mule right now, and they'd love to move forward with all solid state and no optical drive type laptops.

Note that, while the MBP may be heavy compared to the MBA, it's actually one of the thinnest and lightest 15" and 17" laptops around.

Search for OWC, newegg.com, Amazon, etc. or your local computer hardware store.

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If you are doing things like browsing the web, editing photos in iPhoto, or checking emails the Air will be faster than a MBP with a 5400 RPM hard drive because flash memory is faster.

Though if you are rendering a movie (Even in iMovie, but more so in Final Cut or Premier Pro), applying photoshop filters to a large image, or doing other CPU intensive tasks the MBP will smoke the air.

Of course that applies more for the i5 and i7 MBP's as the 13" MBP has only a marginally faster processor than the 13" Air.