Why is MBP more expensive than Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by inscrewtable, Jun 6, 2013.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

Oct 9, 2010
    I have been looking to purchase a used retina mbp from ebay and to familiarise myself with the various options I was looking at the Apple website and various configurations and the prices of their refurbished mbp and retina mbp.

I was astonished to discover that a new MBP with upgrades to 2.6GHz processor and 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM, is the *same price* as a rMBP with 2.7GHz processor 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM

I can't wrap my head around this. I was wanting to work out how much of a price premium the retina screen is and instead I find that not only is there no price premium but you get a better processor (2.7 which is in fact a further $300 on the MBP) as well as an extra 8GB of RAM.

What is going on here. I've been to everymac and they both use the ivy bridge processors so I was wondering if someone can tell me what I'm missing here because this can't be right, can it?
  2. B... macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2013
    15". It is because you are paying the Apple premium for the upgrades. If you upgraded the 512GB SSD and 8 GB RAM by yourself aftermarket, it would be cheaper ($400 for the SSD and $90 for 16GB RAM).