Why is Microsoft Office so abysmally slow on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mach, Jun 22, 2008.

1. mach macrumors regular

It's lightning fast on XP and Vista, and even though I love the new Office 2008 interface, it still takes around ~20 seconds to open Word or Entourage, and it loads fonts slowly (lags when opening the font menu in Word, for example), on a 2.4 GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM. Anyone know why, or know anything I can do to optimize its performance?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Basically Microsoft have cross-ported large sections of the code, which were originally written to be optimised for Windows APIs. Don't bother with Office for Mac unless you really have to.

3. mach thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad I didn't buy it, instead I was able to get it from my IT department for free. It is practically unusable, IMO. Thanks for the help.

4. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Because they (MS) want you to run it under Windows ofcourse. More $$ for them.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its not that bad after start, plus you have 2G memory. Which is normal, since most leopard ppl have 2G+ RAM anyway.

6. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I hate it. I used Numbers and Pages, then though I would give Office a try because someone else was wanting some help on it. It the past I could just click on an Excel spreadsheet attachment from an email and it would practically open instantly, now when it uses Excel it takes forever to load.

- James

7. iTronz macrumors member

I always try and avoid Office 2008, I even run a VM of XP just so I can use Office 2007 if I need. I find iWork 08 a lot better than office though.

8. jptelthorst macrumors member

I have Office v. X. I bought it back when I got my first Mac, around 2003. It loads somewhat slow, but once it's loaded it runs fine. I've never been enough of a Word or Excel "poweruser," if such a term can be applied to these apps, to want to purchase Office 2k4 or 2k8. I suppose the only issue *might* be compatibility with files created in 2k8, etc.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

This just in to the Mac Rumors news desk - water has been confirmed as wet, yes we repeat water has been confirmed as wet. Also, top scientist(s) in Japan have found that dog poop smells bad. Reports are sketchy at the moment - please stay tuned for more developments when they happen.

Perhaps a better question is why does the Vista version run so fast? I'd guess its because MS spends more money on a product that sells 10X better (?) and whos developers work for the same company.

10. glassmen07 macrumors member

It is faster than 2004, but not enough. iWork works beautifully, but my whole school is ran of Microsoft products so nothing else really helps. Bummer...

11. TSE macrumors 68030

iWork is a lot better choice. It's faster, and overall just plain better.

12. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Turn off font previews (WYSIWYG font and style menus). That caused it to load a little faster after I turned that of.

13. G-Com macrumors regular

Mach, if you want a great alternative to Office, try NeoOffice

It's absolutely free. :)

14. LaDirection macrumors 6502

Also, try Windows office under Codeweaver, it works real well and very fast!

15. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

i have Pages and Word installed on my mbp (2.33 c2d 2 gig ram) and the load time for Word/Excel/Entourage is ~3 seconds, for Pages it's ~1 second according to my watch. i'm not sure why you're getting a 20 sec load time :confused: have you downloaded their Service Pack 1 for Office? that may help some...

otherwise my only other suggestion is to go to the MacBU blogs and ask them directly...awhile ago one of their people used to post in here too...

16. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I dont know but mine is very fast! Same speed as Office 2007 on Windows (using Office 08).

17. DaSal macrumors regular

I call ********. I have Office 2008 installed on my Macbook AND my Mac Pro (early 2008) and it's around 15-20 seconds from a cold start on both. 3 seconds on the Mac Pro maybe from a warm start, but no way it's that fast from a cold start.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Word may take a while to start up but she runs well.

19. rdofarrell macrumors newbie

I despise the 15 sec load time as well. I still have to use Office because of the Merge Data function. If Pages and Numbers would empoly this, then I would be Office Free!!

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think a lot depends on how many fonts you have. I don't have many and find Word and the rest of Office runs fantastically well (under 5 seconds load time on iMac 3.06 with 4GB ram and not much more on my MBA SSD)
    I've seen a lot of complaints about Office 2008, but I absolutely love it: Entourage is superb when coupled with an Exchange back end and Word and Excel are much better than their Office 2007 counterparts (mainly because I loathe the ribbon interface in Office 2007 with a passion)
    I purchased iWork 08 for my Mac Pro because Office 2008 wasn't out but I haven't bothered with it on either my MBA or my iMac because I much prefer Office 2008

21. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

How many is not many? I don't have much installed on my MBP (not sure where else fonts come from) and it takes 30s to load Word 08...

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

According to Font Book, I've got 219 fonts installed. What model of MBP do you have?

23. jptelthorst macrumors member

From the (admittedly little) I've heard about the Mac Business Unit, they are pretty hard-core Apple fanatics. It must be an ironic department to work in though.

24. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It is strange they didn't try to make their stuff load faster. People here complain but those people could do something about it. I wonder if it is just a training issue with their programming skills. It seems like all their programs for the Mac have issues or lack very advanced features like their messenger and remote (Beta forever) desktop.

25. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I have a MBP C2D 2.2Ghz running 10.5.3. According to Fond Book, I have 214 fonts.

WTH?