Why is my blackbook white?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Saladinos, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Hey all,

This isn't of astronomical importance, I was just wondering - why does my black MacBook have a white icon in the open file window, when there is a black icon available? I've looked through OSX, and I've found the icon for the black MacBook, which is available in all sizes the white one is, yet I still get the laptop appearing as a white one when the icon is used.

I know I could switch the file names, but I'm more interested as to why it happens.

Running OSX 10.5.3, Penryn MacBook (Black), came with 10.5.2, but that had the issue as well.

2. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I can't offer you a reason why, but my 2.2GHz Black MacBook also uses the white icon.

3. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I don't think OS X is aware of the color of your machine. It's weird however, that the icon doesn't stay the color you set. Maybe there is a default somewhere that just can't be changed that overrides your change.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources (copy and paste into Finder's Go window) where all the Mac icons are kept there is a black MacBook icon and a white MacBook icon. if you change the white MacBook icon's filename to "com.apple.macbook-black.icns" and then relaunch the Finder by option right-clicking on its Dock icon you will get a black MacBook icon in the Finder.

im not sure why yours is showing up as white. maybe the info that is needed to determine whether you MacBook is white or black wasnt read properly.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I beg to differ.... And if you are right, then OS X should be aware.

Take the iPod icons, OS X recognizes color for those. :)

7. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Yes I know about that. There are two reasons this isn't a good idea:
    1. It makes all MacBooks black. Even those on a network.
    2. I want to know what's causing it

It seems obvious that Apple didn't implement the code to check for it, which is bizarre given that they do on the iMacs (even check the screen size, from what the resources tell me. Even though they probably don't). And given that they even made a special icon for it.

It's not just UI - I could see it becoming practical when you have multiple MacBooks of different types. I'm stretching it, I know. Just curious, really.

8. ankitad macrumors newbie

can't rename

hey,i jus realized today when looking at the picture, i went to /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/
    and i already hv a com.apple.macbook-black.icns file and a com.apple.macbook-white.icns file, but my black macbook is only recognizing the white.icns, plz help me, its really irritating me, seeing that i hv a black macbook and hv the mac indicate a white one in the finder.
    i tried deleting the white so that the mac can recog. the black.icns and it doesnt, it jus moves onto the next ibook or imac icns, i tried renaming the white but it kept saying that i dunt hv sufficient access privilege to rename the file even though im admin
    plz help

Ankit

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Serves you right. The black MacBooks were ugly as hell and a ripoff. The rest of the is color scheme looks bad with a black display bezel.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

WTF? :confused:

12. ankitad macrumors newbie

sudo and terminal ??

how do i go around using terminal and how do i sudo it ??
    im jus going to completely ignore what snowleopard2008 has to say bout my macbook...

13. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

Bloody hell, handbags at dawn for this one.

It's not your choice, its up to the buyer of it, innit?

14. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

To do it in Terminal you should be able to type:

sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.macbook-black.icns /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.macbook-white.icns

Then to relaunch Finer type:

sudo killall Finder

Now I have a white macbook so I haven't tried these commends myself, but if the other posters are correct in their thinking, these commands should force the changes.

EDIT: The first command and the command to relaunch Finder are both only one line and will require an admin password.

15. ankitad macrumors newbie

thnkx guys

thnkx nomar383, it worked, and this black macbook is my 1st macbook which i bought in jan, and i love it irrespective of what others think...

16. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Sweet, I've been doing a lot of terminal work lately and I thought it might :)