Why is my computer lagging? graphics lag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kettlecorn, Oct 2, 2011.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

2011 macbook pro 13" core i5 2.3ghz
    8gb ram 1333mhz

I just recently upgraded my ram to 8gb because of programs that were force closing on me. After the upgrade the computer is SOO much faster and can handle have mutiple programs running at once. Istat pro always has AT LEAST 1gb of "Free ram" available, and usually more than that around 3gb.

So i dont think the problem is the RAM. I dont think its the CPU either (but I am not sure) since istat pro doesn't show CPU usage more than 30% but then again I'm not sure.

I've been using a minidisplay to connect to a 1080p external LED monitor which is absolutely fine. No problems when running on the monitor.
    Also, no problems running when it's JUST the laptop.

However, the problem occurs when I'm using the external monitor and then I decide to move to the couch or a different room and unplug everything. Once it's been running on the monitor and I start using my macbook pro, it gets SOOO slow. When I click things (Tabs, button) i have to click twice because it doesn't register or is slow at responding. When I exit tabs, it stutters so I press "x" again and it closes 2 tabs. When I open a new tab, it just doesn't do anything and i'll press it again and it'll open 2 new tabs together quickly.
    When I activate expose and spaces, the animation is laggy and choppy. And also I have weird graphics issues when changing windows or opening up different windows. Like distorted, green, images around the borders when using animations.

This problem only occurs after having been connected to an external so I'm wondering if it's a graphics issues and has trouble adjusting to the lower resolution of my macbook pro's display or something else. It is extremely annoying and gets fixed after a reboot. Which sucks cause I have lots of work always open and a reboot means reopening everything.

Any ideas here?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Could be a lot of things, such as a faulty GPU.

I suggest you use the included 1 year manufacturer defect warranty that comes with every computer, and bring it to Apple and let them figure it out.

3. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, interesting. I'm going to try putting my macbook pro to sleep completely before I unplug any of the stuff and see what happens. Maybe the cable being pulled out when its awake is jacking things up.