Why is my computer named "lorettas-iphone"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chrf097, Jun 18, 2012.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

For some reason my computer has taken up the name of my mom's phone "lorettas-iphone". I have never plugged her phone into this computer nor did I ever choose to type that name in. It is evidenced as below:

[​IMG]

When I go into my system settings to change it, it shows that it's set to what I want it to be, but obviously that is not the case:

[​IMG]

What option am I suppoed to choose to fix this issue? What would have caused this?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

That used to happen to me at the office all the time - it would pick up various hostnames - has something to do with DHCP or WINS I think.

Take a look at System Preferences->Network->Advanced. On the TCP/IP tab, Fill in the DHCP Client ID and see if that helps matters. On the WINS tab, I also have my hostname filled in the NetBIOS Name.

Hope that helps.

3. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I've managed to find that in the WINS tab, but I can't change it. After I type something in it doesn't save it.

EDIT: Managed to change it. Didn't fix it. :/

4. GGJstudios, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OS X Lion: Find your computer’s name and address

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks, I grabbed the wrong link. Fixed.

7. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

That is a networking name lookup issue. The DHCP server registered that iPhone's name in DNS and the Macintosh has received the same IP address the iPhone once has, and that name is still in the table. If you change the IP address of the computer, it will probably change the name.