Why is my data so fast on 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by astral125, Sep 26, 2011.

1. astral125 macrumors 6502

I noticed that downloading podcasts in Pocket Casts that my downloads on 3g were incredibly fast when I have a good signal. Since I can watch the large files download, I began to think that they appeared to be downloading too fast. So I downloaded the speediest.net app (which I am sure someone will point out is flawed for some reason), and tried it out. The results seemed to match what I was seeing while downloading podcasts.

If I have 4 or 5 bars of 3g signal I get about 5.5 mbps down and 1.5 mbps up. That is the same down and faster up than my cheap qwest dsl at home.

I'm on ATT in Phoenix and Scottsdale. I have tried this in different areas with the same results. My friends on Verizon get a fraction of this speed.

edit: iPhone4

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Sounds about right to me. I get similar results with the Speedtest app in NY on ATT. Sounds like it's working fine. :)

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Perfectly normal. Verizon's 3G and AT&T's 3G are very different technologies, and AT&T is much faster. That's a big part of the reason many AT&T users aren't bothered if the next iPhone doesn't have LTE.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I get similar results both here in Narnia and in the Cleveland OH area which I visit a couple of times a year. Love the coverage.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Actually, they're more similar than different, since 3G for both networks is done via a CDMA radio, and even some of the implementation details are close.

The major difference is that UMTS uses more bandwidth (Wide CDMA) and faster clocks in order to support voice+data and higher speeds.

That's why it has taken longer for AT&T to deploy 3G (and they're still in the process)... first, they had to wait for the bandwidth to open up in the USA, and then they had to add a WCDMA radio in every tower next to the usual TDMA radios for 2G GSM.

So they were able to get higher speeds, although less fully deployed across their footprint.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I notice this too.

5.02 Mpbs
    1.52 Mpbs
    98 ms
    NYC Queens

I never used to have Ping that low.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

The speedtest app was updated a month or two ago that has a new calculation for ping, so everyone's ping looks better than it did in the spring, even if the connection speed hasn't gotten better.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The radio in the iPhone 4 tops out at 7.2 Mbps and with AT&T finally finishing up the backhaul upgrades in Phx, you will see improved performance.

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I tested my iPhone 4 w/ my coworkers. They were on 4G and me of course on 3G.

iPhone 4: 4.83 mbps / 1.06 mbps
    Droid Charge: 4.38 mbps / 800 kbps (4G) 775 kbps / 300 kbps (3G)
    HTC EVO 3D: 5.00 mbps / 1.30 mbps (4G)
    HTC EVO Shift: 8.63 mbps / 2.00 mbps (4G)

I rounded up some. But AT&T's 3G in South Miami is faster than Verizon's 4G. I also killed their 3G.

Can't compete with Sprint though.. For now. Sprint is very common in my area.

10. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Verizon's 4g lte is much quicker than sprints wimax 4g...

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yea your right, the FCC test is showing me at 200ms. Same speed.

12. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

That's what I thought. However, Verizon says they have a minimum of 5 mbps and a max of 12 mbps (4G).

Sprint is just much faster around that area I guess. After a few tests, Verizon couldn't surpass Sprint.

13. jredecop macrumors 6502a

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Back in March there was an AT&T on campus where I work. He was trying to get access to the tower in a campus building and since I work in facilities I was able to help him out. I picked his brain a bit and asked what he was doing. He said you'll notice a much faster network in the region. He was right. At the time I was test driving a VZW iPhone, I was on AT&T. After this upgrade my AT&T iPhone literally blew away the VZW iPhone in the Philly region. Not even a contest.

15. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

You people have no idea how jealous I am. Here are my speedtest.net results just now:
    165ms ping
    0.07 Mpbs down
    0.83 Mbps up

This is with 4 bars of "3G" on at&t in Houston, TX. Not really sure why I pay $30 for unlimited data at these speeds.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

OP, just why??
    People complain if their speeds are too slow, speeds are too fast?!
    For the record, I get 6Mbps download and 3Mbps upload with 3.

17. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

AT&T really needs to do something about the speeds in the central KY area...ugh.

Ping: 294 ms
    Download: .96 Mbps
    Upload: .21 Mbps

3-4 bars of 3G.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just goes to show that some complain about anything.. :D

19. astral125 thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed these speeds that I am pretty sure were non existent when I got the phone, so naturally I was curious why it changed. I was sure that with the technical knowledge here someone would be able to explain it to me, and I was right. Don't get me wrong, I like faster speeds, and if I didn't I would just turn off 3G.

I'm not complaining, just curious.

Thanks for the answers guys. Seeing these speeds make me less concerned with getting a 4G iPhone. I already have a Verizon LTE mifi, so I don't really need LTE in the phone. I don't think ATT even has LTE here yet.

I just wish that Apple would open some things up now that our data speeds can handle them like facetime and the 20MB app download limit.

20. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Tokyo is interesting to me because of the following...

My home internet is 100 up and 100 down for about $50 a month.

My Softbank iPhone 4 is lucking to hit 0.4 up and 0.1 down. lol