Why is my Entourage so slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silvrbullet, Sep 11, 2009.

1. silvrbullet macrumors regular

I currently use MS Entourage 2008 with my Gmail account. For some reason, receiving e-mail messages is extremely slow. It takes 5-10 minutes to receive 10 emails. When I use Mail, it is much quicker.

Is entourage just slow, or is there a setting I need to adjust somewhere? It doesnt seem to be that slow sending messages, so I'm wondering if I need to adjust something on my incoming server...

any ideas?

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

goto into system preferences and click on sharing...uncheck file sharing and windows sharing this should speed up entourage...mine is super fast....downloads hundreds of emails in less than a minute.

--Eric

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Why would that have anything to do with the speed of Entourage? I can't see how Entourage speed and File sharing are related. I'm just wondering....

4. silvrbullet thread starter macrumors regular

I have no idea what file sharing has to do with entourage....?

5. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

My previous post was referring to Eric's suggestion that disabling file sharing speeded up Entourage

6. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

I haven't figured out why it speeds entourage up but it works. Might have to do with entourage being made by Microsoft. I found this secret out just by experimenting with the settings.

--Eric

7. silvrbullet thread starter macrumors regular

There has to be something else. I searched for others with this problem before I posted, and I haven't seen anyone else complain about it. I will play with my setting when I get home, if worse comes to worse I will just use Mail.

8. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

try this also...

Sometimes linking can cause slowdowns. For example in the Address Book: Once
    it opens, click on the name column to re-sort your contacts. That should
    cause Entourage to re-sort the list and speed things up.

--Eric