Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

civilizedrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Just turned on my MacBook for the first time yesterday, clicked Macintosh HD and saw 33.78 available. Can anyone PLEASE tell me why? I understand the full capacity should be somewhere around 55, so why do I have only 50%?

Also, while I'm at it, I upgraded to 10.4.9 and firefox, iTunes and some other programs which used to open on 1 or 2 bounces before the update now take 5-6 (i have 1GB ram by the way). Please advise me what to do. I am scared I broke something.

Help!

Jan 30, 2006
Just turned on my MacBook for the first time yesterday, clicked Macintosh HD and saw 33.78 available. Can anyone PLEASE tell me why? I understand the full capacity should be somewhere around 55, so why do I have only 50%?

Also, while I'm at it, I upgraded to 10.4.9 and firefox, iTunes and some other programs which used to open on 1 or 2 bounces before the update now take 5-6 (i have 1GB ram by the way). Please advise me what to do. I am scared I broke something.

Help!

For the VERY first time? Is it new?

If yes, then you have like 5GB missing. OS X takes about 15GB. Try downloading WhatSize and see what is taking up your HD space.

And it normally takes 2 restarts for your system to work at top performance after an update.

civilizedrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks.

After I try WhatSize, what would be the safe programs/files to delete which wont be harming the mac?

Jan 30, 2006
Thanks.

After I try WhatSize, what would be the safe programs/files to delete which wont be harming the mac?

Normally you can delete the demos. Like iWork and Microsoft Office.

The rule is to not mess with files you don't know what they are or what they do.

You can also download Monolingual. It deletes all the unnecessary languages you don't use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.