Why is my iMac's internet speed very low, compared to my other computers?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macpokerstars, Apr 17, 2012.

1. macpokerstars macrumors member

I have an iMac 27inch (late 2009) and it has a very slow connection, where as, my other computers have a fast one on the same wifi network at the same time.

What are the possible reasons why only one of my computers on my wifi is incredibly slow? (it takes anything from 5 to 30 seconds to open google.com)

Note: my router is a Sky Broadband one, really crappy one, but I'm not sure that justifies that very random connection speed I have on the iMac.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Regards

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Are you running SL or Lion? This is kind of weird, but my iMac (27" july 2011) is WIRED to my TC, and it's slower than the wifi connection on my MBP MBA iPad and iPhone.

I've tried just about everything including a non-destructive re-install of Lion, but it is slower.

Lion still has wifi issues which have yet to be resolved for some....Your router really is poor, and it could be something to look at...There is a tonne of stuff here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3694685?start=0&tstart=0

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your DNS settings: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I agree. I would try using a different DNS server and see if performance increases. Try using Google's public DNS, it's IP is 8.8.8.8

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Or, as the link I posted suggests, use OpenDNS servers, as they block the Flashback trojan.

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I've tried OpenDNS myself, and found the service to be lacking. It was a couple years ago and the details are hazy. Maybe it has improved.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's likely to be a trade-off between performance and security. If performance is paramount, namebench will help you find the optimum DNS servers for your computer, as the link I posted also states.

8. macpokerstars thread starter macrumors member

Hi there I'm using SL.
    Regards

----------

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am trying the Google DNS server, and will get back to you to let you know if it solved my problem

Regards