Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
My download speeds have been becoming increasingly slower over the past few weeks, so I went to speedtest.com to check the speed of my connection, and it is what it should be. Still, my internet is horribly slow, pages sometimes taking minutes to download, and downloading large files is near impossible. Why does my real internet speed not match the speed shown in the test results?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Could be your ISP/Modem?

Have you tried power cycling both your modem and router...if not, do that. Any other computers at your place that haven't had these symptoms? If the answer there is no, it's your connection. If my first suggestion doesn't help, call your ISP.

Also, I see you're on SBC, so most likely a DSL connection. What's the rated speed for your connection/price plan? DSL comes in tiers, usually 384k, 768k, 1.5Mb, 3Mb etc etc...

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think OP has a 1.5 Mbps connection (he said the speed is what it should be from Speedtest) so with overhead 1.27 Mbps sounds about right (Don't think OP has a 3 Mbps because that's a lot of overhead). At 1.27 Mbps, if everything downloads at full speed (which it rarely does) you should be downloading at 162 kbps which isn't slow but definitely isn't fast. Webpages should load rather quickly but I can see downloading to be a pain. Is this over ethernet or wifi or have you tried both and get the same result?

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
I've done everything I can think of. Reset both router and modem, reset all security settings on router, called SBC, they said it was my computer. I told them this is happening on all four computers in the house, two pcs and two macs, running four different OSs. There's no way it's the computers, and he agreed, but still didn't have an answer.
I just don't understand why the speed test website can download at that speed but iTunes and every other website can't.
And the connection speed is 160k, which the speed test reflects quite well, maybe a tiny bit slower, but not what I am experiencing. My average download speed recently is approx 30kb/s versus the 160kb/s we are paying for here. I'm really at a loss, and SBC won't help, at least not at this hour. So much 24hr service.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If speedtest.net can download at that rate, generally there's nothing wrong with your connection because it is possible to get those speeds. If there was something wrong, speedtest.net tests would reflect it through a lower download speed.

With downloads in a non-controllable site, there are so many factors that could be affected the speeds at what you download at.

What I suggest is create a new user on one of your Mac's and see if you get the same problem. This isn't reliable, but what I use as a second test is try to find a download that uses Megaupload as mirror/host. I ALWAYS get max speed when downloading from Megaupload. If you're able to download max. speed from there, there's nothing wrong and all the other sites might be the problem, not your computer or connection.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I've done everything I can think of. Reset both router and modem, reset all security settings on router, called SBC, they said it was my computer. I told them this is happening on all four computers in the house, two pcs and two macs, running four different OSs. There's no way it's the computers, and he agreed, but still didn't have an answer.
I just don't understand why the speed test website can download at that speed but iTunes and every other website can't.
And the connection speed is 160k, which the speed test reflects quite well, maybe a tiny bit slower, but not what I am experiencing. My average download speed recently is approx 30kb/s versus the 160kb/s we are paying for here. I'm really at a loss, and SBC won't help, at least not at this hour. So much 24hr service.

What DNS settings are you using? Sometimes you can get better performance using something other than your ISP-provided servers. Try OpenDNS for example.

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
If speedtest.net can download at that rate, generally there's nothing wrong with your connection because it is possible to get those speeds. If there was something wrong, speedtest.net tests would reflect it through a lower download speed.

With downloads in a non-controllable site, there are so many factors that could be affected the speeds at what you download at.

What I suggest is create a new user on one of your Mac's and see if you get the same problem. This isn't reliable, but what I use as a second test is try to find a download that uses Megaupload as mirror/host. I ALWAYS get max speed when downloading from Megaupload. If you're able to download max. speed from there, there's nothing wrong and all the other sites might be the problem, not your computer or connection.

Tried a new user and it's the same thing. Even downloading songs from iTunes is unbearably slow, so I know it's not the site. I guess I'll just live with it, I go back to school in a week, things should work better there.

thats crazy slow compared to what i call slow at my uni

I guess I can't ask for a lot for $9.95 a month.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008

Given the SpeedTest testing number, you're bandwidth is fine. Looks to be an ISP side server issue perhaps.

As I also said, if other computers are having the issue, it's not just your MB.

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
What DNS settings are you using? Sometimes you can get better performance using something other than your ISP-provided servers. Try OpenDNS for example.

Tried this and it helps a little, but still not as good as it should be. I guess I'll survive until school starts, then I get serious speed again.

Given the SpeedTest testing number, you're bandwidth is fine. Looks to be an ISP side server issue perhaps.

As I also said, if other computers are having the issue, it's not just your MB.

I knew it wasn't my MB because I've used it plenty of other places, but I can't vouch for the other computers. They've got their own issues.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I guess I can't ask for a lot for $9.95 a month.
As always, the missing piece of the puzzle comes to light.

Dude, for $10 a month your lucky to be getting the bandwidth you have. If by some miracle that $10 entitles you to more then swbell/ATT is under contract to give you that minimum.

I'm lucky to get 1.0/mbps for $20 a month but am only guaranteed 0.8 (or something like that) because I'm in the boonies.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
DAMN!! Internet is sooo!! cheap on USA!

man, here in PR i have 512K (slow as hell!!) for $50 monthly, that includes the house phone which you have to get, even when you dont use it at all! (I dont even have a Phone on my house but still have to pay for it)

Only the DSL its supposed to be $25 for 512 (like i said it bumps up to 50 with the phone and other charges)

Now i change to 1M... and im going to pay around 55-60 :(, it sucks!

and i dont know why, i just feel that since i bought the MacBook my internet is worst, right now i cant go to youtube and see a video right away, i have to pause it and wait minutes (depending on the length of it) then go and see it.
everything feels soooooo sloww!, i dont know, i dont remember it being so slow before the MB. But if i go to Speedtest or other speedtest webpages, it shows the correct speed (and the same as before the MB)

Osirus999

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
My download speeds have been becoming increasingly slower over the past few weeks, so I went to speedtest.com to check the speed of my connection, and it is what it should be. Still, my internet is horribly slow, pages sometimes taking minutes to download, and downloading large files is near impossible. Why does my real internet speed not match the speed shown in the test results?

Hi,

That test doesn't tell me much at all. Can you please run this Broadband Speed Test then click the advanced tab in the test, then view text in lower right hand corner of test window and copy and paste your results here. From there I can tell you what to look for. :)

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
thats crazy slow compared to what i call slow at my uni

My university gets about 6Mbps down and 800Kbps up, and that is FAST for the North of England. My Home connection is 2.4Mbps down and 180Kbps up. If you're calling 15Mbps down slow, then I think I'm moving to America.

To the OP, if you have a potential download speed that's not meeting anything you actually get, then you may have a port or two in your modem that are conflicting in use between two or more services. Try looking though your computer's cleared ports and see if two or more services are assigned the same port location.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
My university gets about 6Mbps down and 800Kbps up, and that is FAST for the North of England. My Home connection is 2.4Mbps down and 180Kbps up. If you're calling 15Mbps down slow, then I think I'm moving to America.

Which university are you at?

558030791.png

I'm paying around £20 (at a guess, it's part of a package with TV and Phone for £45) for 20Mbps internet, which sounds like an amazing deal hearing what some people are paying for here.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Hi,

That test doesn't tell me much at all. Can you please run this Broadband Speed Test then click the advanced tab in the test, then view text in lower right hand corner of test window and copy and paste your results here. From there I can tell you what to look for. :)

I am having the EXACT same problem as the OP. I live in chicago, just signed up for AT&T internet and it is slow as ****! I signed up for the one that is $30 a month for 3mbs DSL connection. DSL PRO. I have already called AT&T and they had to come out here and they fixed it but literally hours after they left..same damn problems again.

The internet speed fluctuates to completely worthless to topping out at 100kbs. On average the speed is like 10kbs. I just don't get it.

I did the speed test at that site, what the hell can I do to change this? Anyone recommend a better service in chicago!? I am so sick of wasting my time with this crap.

screenshot20090907at112.png

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 165368 bps
Upload speed: 11608 bps
Download quality of service: 0 %
Upload quality of service: -- %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: HTTP
Maximum TCP delay: 3541 ms
Average download pause: 90 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 62 ms
Average round trip time to server: 75 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2480000bps
Route concurrency: 14.996856
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 8456128bps

jbuk

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
...and that is FAST for the North of England...
I live in the north too and I get approx 8Mbps (~800KB/s in real bytes, not marketing bits) download with Orange, of all ISPs. However, I am within about 500m of an exchange, so that helps a little.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
Which university are you at?

558030791.png

I'm paying around £20 (at a guess, it's part of a package with TV and Phone for £45) for 20Mbps internet, which sounds like an amazing deal hearing what some people are paying for here.

I live in the north too and I get approx 8Mbps (~800KB/s in real bytes, not marketing bits) download with Orange, of all ISPs. However, I am within about 500m of an exchange, so that helps a little.

I'm at Sunderland (figures) and at home I'm about a mile and a bit from the distributor box. The University internet varies from campus to campus but the fastest I've ever gotten out of it was 6, which is pretty much the best anybody gets out of copper cabling round here. I know a family who live on literally the same street at the distributor and only get 5.2Mbps at best.

Not to mention you're with Virgin. There are no Virgin DSL cables in Sunderland, and we're 5 years and/or a long petition away from getting fiber-optic here.

jbuk

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
...Not to mention you're with Virgin...

You were probably talking to the other guy, but last time I checked, I'm with Orange, and they run copper too. And Virgin seem to not want to come anywhere near the town where I live.

Bearing in mind I can get the Metro pretty easily, I'm thinking that the Wear area seems a bit slower than Tyne and the middle, but it's still slower than pretty much everywhere else in the country, and that sucks.

EDIT: speedtest proof (over shoddy wifi)

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
im getting about 2.44Mb down, 600kb up. I have my own issues in that the router isnt the best in the world, i frequently have to go into the living room, cos the router cant cope with sending stuff through 2 walls. Right pain in the butt!!

In answer to the OP, have you confirmed what package your supposed to be on with your Data Provider. You dont start getting into serious business of d/l u/l speeds until at least 20 quid/25 dollars (ish) amonth

PTP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.