Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
After downloading it, it seems l have 2GB free. currently using ios 13.3.1.
l thought it might be because it wasn't plugged in, but when l click on 'install now'. it still fails. taking me back to 'install now' screen. please help. thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_9080.PNG
    IMG_9080.PNG
    130.8 KB · Views: 336

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
how to upgrade to even ios 14 or the recommended latest version since some apps dont work with ios 13 now :(
and how to get it from app store? thanks

maryland

Suspended
Aug 24, 2022
You can’t install iOS 14 or any other version lower than iOS 15.7.5, sorry

Do you have a computer you can try to install from? Many times that is the solution when the phone fails to update itself

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
...are you sure you want iOS 15 on a 6s? It’s not good. Not good at all.

You can’t install anything else, but if you can, at this point I’d recommend getting another device and keeping the 6s on iOS 13. iOS 15 is abhorrent.

You can’t go back either, so it will ruin your device forever. I’d consider lack of compatibility a necessary evil, keep the 6s for something else, and get something a little newer, something that can run whatever version of iOS you need a little more respectably.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
thanks for advice all. l definitely dont use the phone for anything fancy. no gaming or anything intensive, just calls or podcasts. l do have a mbpr 2012, l would use that if it helps. alternatively l could take it to apple store for them to possibly update? l will be getting another phone this summer. android a big possibility only because iphones don't have a basic app like voice aloud reader for androids that lets you read almost anything by text to voice, where you can pause, play where you left off, have one webpage reader after another in order you want, etc. there is another reader called Speech Central l read. if that has the features l go iphone.

maryland

Suspended
Aug 24, 2022
thanks for advice all. l definitely dont use the phone for anything fancy. no gaming or anything intensive, just calls or podcasts. l do have a mbpr 2012, l would use that if it helps
Yeah that should work. Just make sure the macOS version you have is not too old. I think that model can be updated to 10.15 Catalina

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
Just want to go against the grain and say my 6S with 15.7.5 works pretty well, definitely usable.
If you have a computer somewhere, like Windows & iTunes, try installing the update with that. There's probably not enough space on the phone to update directly because of the temporary files it creates.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Yeah that should work. Just make sure the macOS version you have is not too old. I think that model can be updated to 10.15 Catalina
my mbpr has 10.15.7 catalina, please tell me how l can use it to install the already iphone 6s downloaded

ios 15.7.5​

maryland

Suspended
Aug 24, 2022
my mbpr has 10.15.7 catalina, please tell me how l can use it to install the already iphone 6s downloaded

ios 15.7.5​

If you want to try to install it via the computer, the computer must download the update. It can’t use the already downloaded update on the phone. So you might first wanna delete the update on your 6s. You can do that from Settings > General > iPhone storage, search there for iOS Update or something like that.

So when you’re ready to proceed, connect your iPhone to the computer. Since you are on Catalina, updates and syncing is made via Finder and not iTunes. Your iPhone might prompt you to trust the computer, accept that. Your iPhone should appear in Finder’s sidebar. Think about making a local backup of your iPhone. Then press Check for updates and see if it finds 15.7.5.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]

keep the 6s for something else, and get something a little newer, something that can run whatever version of iOS you need a little more respectably.[...]
Like a doorstop?

But to the OP, sounds like the install is running out of storage. You can check that by having the storage opens as it installs and see if it is running out of storage. 2GB doesn't sound like enough.

Although feliapple has a point the 6s hasn't aged particularly well per him. I think an 8 year old mobile phone processor is stretching it in 2023.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Like a doorstop?

But to the OP, sounds like the install is running out of storage. You can check that by having the storage opens as it installs and see if it is running out of storage. 2GB doesn't sound like enough.

Although feliapple has a point the 6s hasn't aged particularly well per him. I think an 8 year old mobile phone processor is stretching it in 2023.
For the sake of an example, I’d rather keep my iPhone 6s on iOS 10 as a music player rather than update it for temporary compatibility and abhorrent performance and battery life.

It’s either on iOS 10 for whatever it can do, or I’ll chuck it in the Potomac River. Everyone else’s mileage may vary. I’m rather intolerant to degraded performance and battery life.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For the sake of an example, I’d rather keep my iPhone 6s on iOS 10 as a music player rather than update it for temporary compatibility and abhorrent performance and battery life.

It’s either on iOS 10 for whatever it can do, or I’ll chuck it in the Potomac River. Everyone else’s mileage may vary. I’m rather intolerant to degraded performance and battery life.
Sure my family has older iphones that are used as ipods. They are on the latest updates and serve a useful function. Some people don't fret about perceived battery life and performance and just use the phone in the way they want.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Sure my family has older iphones that are used as ipods. They are on the latest updates and serve a useful function. Some people don't fret about perceived battery life and performance and just use the phone in the way they want.
And why do they need the latest version just for music? iOS 10 is better for that on a 6s.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
l thought it might be because it wasn't plugged in, but when l click on 'install now'. it still fails. taking me back to 'install now' screen. please help. thanks all
There seems to be a problem with the install. I recommend using your Mac to install the update. Please follow the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212185

However if your Mac is too old or you want to update without it then I would backup your device, factory reset it, and then try to install the update. Make sure to backup first!

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
In regards to performance I have family members that have 2016 SEs as backup phones. I think iOS 15 performance on an A9 iPhone (such as the 6S) is passable. It's not a complete drag like iPhone 6 on its last updates.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
If there is only 2 GB free space, I would assume that this is not enough space to perform this big jump from iOS 13 to iOS 15.
Try to free up some space on your device, then try to update again.
Google Search tells me that at least 5GB of free space is required for a successful install of iOS 15.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
If it doesn't work OTA try and hook it up to a PC or Mac with itunes. That usually does the trick of you have issues with OTA.

You should most definitely update, there are loads of severe security flaws that is fixed, a few of them with a top CVE Score (vulnerability score).

I am using the 15.7.5 on the first iPhone SE (same HW as 6S) and it works fine. So do yourself and your friends a big favor, update your OS to a secure version :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.