Why is my iphoto taking ages to load?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Adamdevir, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Adamdevir macrumors newbie

Hello, I was wondering if anybody can help..I am not really good with computers at all, but my brother give me a mac book some time ago..
    It is a Mac 0S X Version 10.3.9
    memory 256 MB Built-in.. roughly 10 years old now..
    It has roughly 2000 photos in it and the same amount of songs on itunes.. Problem is when I go into iphoto at all, it takes forever, that little swirlly thing appears for ages, to eventually I just get fed up waiting and just switch it off..I talked to my bro and he thinks it should be able to hold that amount of photos..Could it be on its last legs or is there something I can do to speed it up? I do hope there is as I like it alot, very usefull just a pain when it comes to uploading my pics!
    Any advice would help..
    Thanks alot!
    Adam

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

With only 256MB RAM, iPhoto will struggle. A lot. If you add some more RAM though, it'll probably behave better, possibly just fine until you really get a lot of pictures. Up to you if you think it's worthwhile.

Incidentally, you have an iBook or a PowerBook, not a MacBook. If it's white, it's an iBook, if it's aluminum or titanium, it's a PowerBook. Either way, you probably can use PC2700 RAM in there, and that means you could add 1GB for less than $50. You'd want to double-check the model first, of course, because it may be an older machine than that.

jW