Why is my iTunes 7 so laggy?

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Az.
I had iTunes 6 and it ran smooth and I updated to iTunes 7 and it lags quite a bit.Anyone know what the problem could be?I have Windows Media Center if it matters.....

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Yes iTunes is much more processor intensive. It was using 20% of my dual cpu cycles until I turned look for album art off. I have a few albums with no artwork and I guess it keeps looking. The visualizer is also more demanding. I can't get more than 28 frames per second driving my 20 inch LCD.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
iTunes 7 is completely buggy for me. Visualizer doesn't work, and album art shows up when it feels like. Windows hiccup like the thing is starved for RAM, but Activity Monitor shows plenty of RAM available. Even with nothing else running, it is a total dog.

I got burned by SWU this time fer sure...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Interestingly, it's got worse for me since I first installed it. It's acting like there's a memory leak, but as D*I*S_Frontman said, it doesn't seem to be taking up a considerable amount. Weird. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one and see if it's clashing with another app or something. :(

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
One thing that has helped mine is to go into the iTunes store, go to the Advanced menu and click 'get artwork'. With mine it began to go thru my 7k tracks and it took a good half hour to grab the artwork required. Since then it seems a bit better, tho still not as fly as iTunes 6 :cool: