Why is my Mac HD filling up when I import to an external library??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Shacklebolt, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Using a MacBook 2.4ghz/2GB/150GB, and an external 500GB. This only happens intermittantly, but I have no idea what's causing it:

Using image capture to pull NEFs from my D300 directly onto my external. Have an external iPhoto library on that HD, which I am 100% positive I am running iPhoto off of. Image capture library on external HD. Library on external HD.

When I import photo files on the external to the photo library on the external, my Mac HD **sometimes** temporarily gives up the same amount of space as if I were importing the photos directly onto it. So I import 1GB of photos, capacity of external goes down by 1GB (which is fine), but capacity of my Macintosh HD _also_ goes down by 1GB? Then I have to reset the computer for the missing 1GB to reappear?

What the heck is going on?

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

My only guess is that the process of importing is using up virtual memory on your iMac HD- which will show up as data written to your internal drive until the next reboot, when the virtual memory cache gets cleared out. This should not be a big issue as I think there is some upper limit on virtual memory usage after which the OS will start overwriting the oldest data with newer data.

Ruahrc

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

maybe, the image previews/cache is what is taking up some of the space.