Why is my mac lagging so bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mattbull, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Mattbull macrumors member

Currently, I am running mac osx (version 10.5.8). My processor is a 2.26 Ghz intel core 2 duo, and I have 4gb 1067 Mhz DDR3 ram on a macbook pro. Out of the 500gb I have on my computer I have 35gb free. I tried closing everything down and restarting it, but this isn't helping. Compared to when I first bought this laptop I am running at, i would say, less than 1/5 its original speed. For instance when i scroll or click on links or programs it doesn't scroll up right away for 1-2 seconds. That is just one example. Has anyone had this problem or would you be able to recommend anything?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Look at Activity Monitor, what is taking up all the memory and the CPU?

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When is the last time you did some software maintenance and cleared out old cache files? Download either the applications Yasu or Onyx and run all the cleaning routines. Let the program restart your Mac and after that reboot manually reboot again to completely rebuild your startup/shutdown cache.

Plus /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor should show you if an older program/plugin is eating processor cycles. You should really keep those plugins up to date.