Why is my mac running slow and keeps crashing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MAGICMAN320, Apr 5, 2009.

1. MAGICMAN320 macrumors member

Iv just installed leopard and then ilife 09.
    Now my system just seems very slow and some programs wont open.
    Then sometime my screen drops a grey transparent curtain telling me to shut down.
    What is wrong.
    I have a wedding slideshow to put together and imovie is acting weird.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Did you just install Leopard/iLife and run or did you run software update too? You might just need to run software update.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Did you upgrade to Leopard from Tiger? That can be troublesome. Clean install is recommended.

4. MAGICMAN320 thread starter macrumors member

Yes. What should i have done?

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

6. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

If worse comes to worse backup everything, wipe the hard drive and start from scratch. I just did this and the results were fantastic. Previously apps were slow to launch, there was a lot of disk thrashing going on when I switched apps and WiFi didn't connect reliably. Now everything launches fast, web pages open in a flash and WiFi is very reliable. I had been running this machine for three years. Also, most of my home folder had been copied over from a previous machine that also had run for many years.

If you knew where to look you could probably fix most of the problems. There may be corrupted plist files or other such problems. Doing a wipe and rebuild fixes all that and more. It also gave me a chance to do some spring cleaning. Lots of files I wouldn't delete I can now just leave on the backup volume. If I ever need them I know where they are. I've gained about 80GB in free space this way.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You shouldn't need to run this in Terminal...

"sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -root / -force"

But sometimes it clears an error that pops up with things like an OS update. When you see a lot of dyld stall/restarts in the log.

Repairing permissions, and eliminating login items may help ... though a USB printer driver or something may need updating.

8. txnoob macrumors 6502

Best thing to do is back up all your personal data or move it to an external. Do a clean install of Leopard and iLife.