Why is my MacBook 10.6 running SO slow ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paulsenglish, Oct 31, 2010.

1. paulsenglish macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I've checked the used/free space GB, and out of 74, it is 45/30.

With 30GB free, shouldn't it be running normally ?

What could be causing it to run like this ?

I'm talking a minute to open a file, 30 seconds to open 'Print' in the 'File' menu.

Appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

Paul

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

We need more info. What MacBook do you have, and what are the specs (RAM, HDD capacity and speed, processor, etc)? Which version of Snow Leopard? How long has this problem been going on? Did it coincide with anything? Did it happen suddenly? Gradually?

3. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie

Why is my MacBook running SO slow ?

Sorry, more info would help.

Gradually, over the last two months.

Two weeks ago, I recently upgraded to 10.6.4 but that has had no apparent effect on the rate of slowing. It installed fine.

I repaired permissions and that was quite lengthy, taking over an hour, which is unusual.

The capacity is 79.55 GB, comprising used 45.05 GB and 34.55 free.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Just launching OnyX won't do anything. This is a great suggestion, it's just missing the last part, which is key: In OnyX, run all the maintenance things (permissions, maintenance scripts, clear caches, etc).

@OP: I have the 2.2 GHz 3,1 MacBook and it's very quick. While I have more RAM and a faster HDD, the symptoms you're describing indicate that yours is running much slower than it should. 1 GB isn't much RAM, upgrading to 2 or 4 GB would help, but it may not be the actual solution. It seems, though, that this could be your bottleneck.

How often do you restart your computer? In Activity Monitor, under Memory, how many page ins vs page outs do you have (and what is the size of your page file)? Look that up before restarting your computer, as it is reset whenever you do so.

5. hoopster macrumors member

Unless your pretty stupid its obvious that "Just launching Onyx won't do anything" all you have to do is open OnyX let it check the smart status and verify the start up volume then click automation make sure all the options are checked and click execute. But upgrading the RAM will help significantly.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you want to go that route, unless you have a lot of experience in these things, "Try running OnyX. It worked for me." isn't very helpful. OnyX can do a thousand things, the majority of which are not related to clearing caches and maintenance scripts.

No need to go on the offense, I was simply clarifying in case the OP wasn't sure what you meant. I figured you knew what to do, but you never included the steps. That's all.

7. hoopster macrumors member

All I'm saying is that I highly doubt that the OP would open OnyX and think that's all he had to do. If he didn't know what to do all he had to do was ask.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's certainly true. It's just bad form to recommend an app for a certain use and give no clues whatsoever as to how to accomplish it, unless that app has only one use.

9. hoopster macrumors member

True. Next time I will include instructions with a recommendation for an app with multiple uses. CleanMyMac is also supposed to be good if you don't mind shelling out some cash but want a easier user interface

10. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks people

I'll do the necessary.

I don't restart as often as I probably should, so.....

Paul