Why is my Macbook Pro overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blundell89, May 9, 2011.

1. Blundell89 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I purchased my Macbook Pro approximately 18-24 months ago therefore it is outside of Apple's standard warranty. For the past 24 hours, when the laptop has been on, the fans have been going crazy and the notebook is extremely hot.

Just now I downloaded an application named Temperature Monitor to try and obtain some readings into how hot the Mac is getting - it seems the processors are around and above 90 degrees! :eek: (http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7889/overheating.png)

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why my processors are overheating? I am only running Firefox and Microsoft Word (2011) on a 2.8Ghz model with 4GB of RAM. There's no reason why it should be overheating.

Thank you in advance.

Lee

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. Blundell89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Much appreciated, I'll have a look into it! It makes sense :)

Thank you and regards

Lee

4. Blundell89 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's sorted! There was an Adobe application running in the background using approximately 90% of my processing resources! Not nice.

Cheers again for the quick reply mate!

Lee

5. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

Adobe's revenge for blocking out flash on iOS? ;)

Glad you were able to sort this out. :cool:

6. TenderBranson macrumors member

I feel like there should be a notifier informing you when a background application is hogging a large percentage of the cpu for a while

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

iStatMenus does this essentially.

If I ever see my system resources above about 10% when "idling" (ie not running CPU intensive things like compiling code or videos or such) I check to see what it is.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, processes, hard drives, battery, and several other things.

9. Blipp macrumors 6502

I think we need a sub-forum just for heat related issues. Every single one of these threads are filled with the same questions and the same answers.