Why is my Macbook Pro using so much RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Redstoneq42, May 5, 2014.

1. Redstoneq42 macrumors newbie

As soon as I start it up, its already using 2.5-3GB of RAM. I don't have it set to start anything other than Memory Clean and Battery Health when I log on. Of course Finder is running etc. I've taken a screenshot of Activity Monitor, Memory Clean and the Force Quit window just to show what is running and whats being used. Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Memory graph green = :)
    Memory graph yellow = :(
    Memory graph red = :mad:

Same as traffic light.

I agree though that mavericks is still displaying to many numbers and words. they need to dumb it down more!

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Mavericks uses RAM differently then every did before. Each application in Mavericks is designed to use the max RAM in that Activity monitor when being used. As soon that application is quit or goes behind another application it will cut it's RAM usage to it's minimum. Then when that application comes back up front it goes back to max usage. That is what 'memory' column shows the max that application can use (when active). So what you should be looking at (like what Mistier said) is the color/height on memory pressure. The higher and Red color means memory is being stressed and Green (and minimum hight) means everything is running the way it should.