Why is my MacBook so fast lately?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jwolf6589, Oct 3, 2017.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Macbook Pro 2012 8GB's of RAM with a conventional HD. After the install of High Sierra its been far faster and smoother in its operations. Why? I am not complaining but I have to wonder why. Is it because of High Sierra, or is it because of a defective hard drive cable? I do not know if its defective. Tech Tools Pro seems to report all is well.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Possibly just the new OS forcing a disk repair of any problems.

3. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Did you do a clean install? I had some freezing issues previously and after doing a clean install everything has been fine.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

High Sierra has what I perceive to be better RAM utilization efficiency and better graphics performance - I am speculating that as your HDD is a huge bottleneck when caching info held in the RAM, RAM efficiency improvement could theoretically make a big difference here. The single most observable difference I've noticed is with the UI's responsiveness and smoothness (for example, try launching Mission Control or resizing a window in Sierra, and then launching Mission Control or resizing a window in High Sierra, and notice how much smoother this process is with High Sierra.) If you think it is running well now, pop a SSD in and you will be shocked!

5. jerryk macrumors 601

Smoother graphic operations are likely due to Metal 2. File operations have also been updated to make copies, deletes, etc much faster. Safari now blocks autoplay of video ads. These were some of the big features in High Sierra.

6. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

No
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Mission Control launches very fast.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Agreed