Why is my MacBook stuck in China?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zone3Monthly, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Zone3Monthly macrumors newbie

Hi. I know this topic has been posted numerous times before, and I apologize for bring it up once again, but every search I've tried comes up with outdated info.

I purchased my 2.4 MacBook exactly one week ago (Friday, Feb. 20). I understand Sat and Sun aren't business days, so it didn't ship until around 12:00 a.m. Wednesday, 2/25. On 2/26, through the UPS tracking info, I was notified of an exception of "Airline off-loaded packages."

Ok, fine. MacBooks are made in China. Understandable. I can deal with that.
    Ok, fine. It will take more than one day for something to get from China to U.S. Again, I can deal with that one too.

What's not fine is that Apple specified it would be here by today, it's not here, and tracking info on UPS.com is still where it was yesterday at 9:00 a.m. (From what I understand, it's Saturday in Shanghai, so perhaps they're not working today).

My question for you guys is: is it normal (and acceptable) to expect over a week to 10 days to receive my MacBook? Why did Apple (from what I understand, are more than generous with their shipping estimates) give me a recieve estimate of Feb 23-27, and UPS.com is telling me 3-3? And also, is UPS.com tracking info accurate and reliable?

What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance for any advice you offer

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sometimes that happens due to customs.

The later date might be accurate.

There is nothing you can do to change the date, so just wait.

3. MidwestStuck macrumors member

Were there any updates since 2/26? Sometimes, UPS doesn't post the latest tracking info... meaning, your MB could be in your state or one nearby already. I'm guessing you're gonna get your MB in the next few days.

4. Zone3Monthly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me guys. As for the UPS, just checked again, this is what it says:

SHANGHAI,
    CN 02/26/2009 9:56 P.M. THE AIRLINE OFF-LOADED PACKAGES
    02/26/2009 9:48 P.M. SHIPPER TENDERED THE SHIPMENT TO UPS AFTER THE LATEST PICKUP TIME FOR THE REQUESTED SERVICE. A DAY DELAY IS LIKELY.
    02/26/2009 9:21 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    SHANGHAI,
    CN 02/25/2009 9:56 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
    02/25/2009 9:51 P.M. IMPORT SCAN
    02/25/2009 12:20 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
    CN 02/25/2009 9:43 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 02/27/2009 3:02 P.M. ET ​

So I understand exception, off-loading, etc. That's fine. Things don't always go as planned. Just wondering if this was standard procedure and a normal occurence.

5. nemacman macrumors newbie

6. stabile007 macrumors member

7. Zone3Monthly thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL I like that. I called "oops" yesterday and they just said "Well, we still have plenty of time to get it to you by 3/3, so it will be there by then." That's NEXT Tuesday and would be 12 days from when I ordered it. So much for 3-5 busines days!

Ah well. Maybe it will surprise me and the mailroom will bring it around the corner shortly. Yeah right. I'm just so excited! My first Mac ever, and I'm so ready to burn my old Dell.

Thanks again!

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha, that's funny, so true. :D

9. MACZ macrumors newbie

Hey, i ordered my mac book pro the same day as you, Friday 20 :)

I just got mine yesterday (Thu 26) and it was shipped by Fedex. I thought apple uses Fedex for the shipping method.

Mine left China around Tuesday and it expected to arrive at my address (in CA) today (Fri 27) but it actually was earlier. I guess once yours get out of China it will take only 2-3 days.

Good luck :)

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I remember when mail order stuff had a 6-8 weeks shipping time. Now that was excruciating.

Good luck with your Macbook.

11. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Apple loves satisfying customers who experience hold ups in receiving their packages. Call customer service and tell them that this is holding you up quite a bit and you were wondering if they could do anything for you. Don't be shy, ask for money off, free accessories, etc...

12. stabile007 macrumors member

lol I remember my worst experience with UPS I was building my first computer ever and I got all the parts in early except for the mainboard. I was tracking it online and it was ahead of schedule. In fact it was already at the local distribution point 3 days ahead of schedule. Yay! Yeah until UPS sat on it for a whole week and it ended up getting delivered late. Mind you I live 30 minutes from the hub.

As someone pointed out I remember when mail order was 6-8 WEEKS before delivery.

Sorry about the delay. I agree call apple and see what happens.

13. Zone3Monthly thread starter macrumors newbie

Great news! My MB didn't arrive today, but it has made its way safely to Louisville.

And, thanks to everyone's advice, I called Apple to say WTF, and they credited $20 to my card and threw in an Apple remote for my troubles.

So hopefully I'll get it sometime tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help!

Now here's to hoping I don't have too many issues making the PC-->Mac switchover!

14. Zone3Monthly thread starter macrumors newbie

It came today! It's beautiful. It's all I have not to play with it at work.

It's cold outside though. Do I need to let it get to room temp before turning it on anyway? Or is that just an urban legend?

Thanks again for your help :)

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on your purchase; have fun starting it up and registering it and all that...:p

16. Zone3Monthly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. do you think it's safe to turn on? How long should I wait for it to get to room temperature?