Why is my MBP's fan almost always running?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrat93, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I have the new, 2011 15" MBP 2.2ghz model. It is just over one month old.

Lately, when not doing anything CPU-intensive, the fan runs pretty loud.

I checked Activity Monitor to see if anything is hogging my CPU. System CPU usage ranges from 2-4%. User CPU usage ranges from 4-8%. The CPU is almost always more than 90% idle. I do use most of my memory (4GB) but I am upgrading to 8GB in a few days. Either way, that shouldn't have much affect on the fan, right?

Also, when watching flash video, I either need to use headphones or turn the volume up significantly to hear the audio.

Is this normal? If not, what can I do to fix the problem?

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Lol

@OP, which browser are you using?
    Which processes do you have open?

4. negativzero macrumors 6502a

Think you have some rogue processes going on. If you aren't idling at 98-99%, there is something wrong. And those running CPU processes will make for CPU generate more hear causing your fans to run faster.

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Use iStatPro to tell us temps and fan speeds, and what processes you have open. we can help a lot better with this information.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

What are your temps? I run Chrome, Sparrow, Reeder, Adium, Skype, iTunes, Utorrent and about 5 less intensive apps in the background and I get 95-99% idle.

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

The only time mine dips below 98% idle is when i have flash videos open, i am gaming, or Sophos is updating. Or handbrake is running, of course. xD

8. sampsaltakis macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. I'm very disappointed with this machine I have a 2011 15" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (paid a pretty penny for), and my 2009 15" Mackbook Pro seems to be running faster and quieter than this one. I've completely wiped the machine and started from scratch, clean install, very minimal apps, still my older Macbook Pro seems snappier and less noisy. I've also put a 7200 rpm drive in the new Macbook, still get the balloon loading simple apps. I put a SSD in my old poly macbook and I'm amazed at the performance of that mid 2007 device. So my next step is to put a SSD in this pig.

It's seems to be getting worse. Lately, just browsing the web (any browser I have them all installed) scrolling fast on the website the fan goes into overdrive. REALLY!?!? I never have this problem with any other mac I have. Is it Lion. I might downgrade to snow leopard just to test if these simple tasks put the fan into overload.

Just venting!!
    -SP

9. mape2k macrumors regular

There must be an app or a task running in the background that causes excessive heating.

My 2011 with 10.7.2 runs perfectly fine, even with a lot of apps open (PS, Illustr., Keynote, Safari, Mail, Skype,...) the fans sit at 2000rpm and the CPU never hits more than 70 degrees.

10. swedefish macrumors 6502

My new MBP 15 runs very cool, which I love, but I hate the fact that the fan is audible at 2000 rpm whereas my old 2009 MBP 13 was dead silent until 3000 rpm. It's not rattling or sounding broken so I wonder if this is indeed normal? :/

11. mape2k macrumors regular

Do you have an SSD? If no, than its probably the HHD? Some say they have become louder in the new models (I have an SSD, so I don't really know).

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what apps may be placing high demands on your CPU/GPU.

13. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

can pretty much guarantee it's your hard drive spinning

14. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

My new 13" MBP is the coolest-running portable Mac I have ever owned (iBook G3, G4 and MBP 15" 2008). I never hear the fans running and I assume that they are doing their job...

Unlike others in this thread I have never bothered to see what the temps are when my MBP is running, but it seems like something must be amiss with your Mac.