why is my plea for heip discussion closed?

jeanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
ky.
Im just trying to upgrade my older 2010 mini Mac and suddenly I can't post for more help to do so?whats Up?up?
Maybe Im just dense but what others say is NOT working. that why I invested 100 bucks to upgrade my 2GB to 16GB memory. cause I thought by doing so I cOuld at least upgrade to El Captaine...
I can't view you tube etc on my nice little desktop mini mac
presently Im typing this on my used 2012 MB pro....
would be so happy to see lil Mini Mac not been turned into a doorstop.
thanks y'all

tpivette89

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2018
Newark, DE
There should be no problem upgrading your Mini to El Capitan, in fact, I believe the 2010 can go to High Sierra.

If you are trying to download from the App Store, you must have at least Snow Leopard (version 10.6.8) installed first. If not, it will not let you download and install El Capitan.

What operating system are you currently using? What are the actual specs of your machine? Click the Apple icon at the top-left corner of the screen and select "About this Mac" to find out the basic specifications of your system and report back so we can go further into this issue.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What Mini do you have?
Is it a 2010?

What OS is on it right now?

Did you do the memory upgrade from 2gb to 32gb?
Will it boot and run as it is right now?

Clear all this up, and we can go from there.

jeanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
ky.
Well your last plea seemed to wind down into a shroom trip or something so that probably had something to do with it.
still show 10.6.8 under my OS on "about"
my 'about" like I mentioned before is now 16 GB since I put in new Memory.. can only use Firefox if i want to use you to use certain sites. is 2.4 GH intel core 2 Duo softwear update says "no more updates."
Tried apple store and it wants apple Id password. Dont have any then it mentions need new Sierra etc to be able to use App store. So its just a merry go round. How do I know if I still have snow leopard etc? why is this so difficult.. AND why do I have to reset my Mac Mini clock everytime I turn on My Mini? I clicked the lock in corner of screen... Thanks yall

tpivette89

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2018
Newark, DE
still show 10.6.8 under my OS on "about"
my 'about" like I mentioned before is now 16 GB since I put in new Memory.. can only use Firefox if i want to use you to use certain sites. is 2.4 GH intel core 2 Duo softwear update says "no more updates."
Tried apple store and it wants apple Id password. Dont have any then it mentions need new Sierra etc to be able to use App store. So its just a merry go round. How do I know if I still have snow leopard etc? why is this so difficult.. AND why do I have to reset my Mac Mini clock everytime I turn on My Mini? I clicked the lock in corner of screen... Thanks yall
Based on your info (Core2Duo 2.4ghz CPU) it looks as though you have a mid 2010 Mac mini. This is capable of going up to 10.13.6 (High Sierra), however it can't be done by simply hitting the "software update" button.

Snow Leapord is 10.6, and 10.6.8 is the most recent version of it, so that is why it’s saying you have no more updates.

To use the App store you must create a username and password if you do not have one. As far as I know, thats the only way to download more recent versions of Mac OS. Here is a link to the Apple support page with the download of High Sierra, however it will take you to the App Store to begin the download:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

The only other way to update your OS would be to use a bootable USB thumbdrive. You can download the High Sierra installer and create one on your MacBook Pro and then use it with the Mac Mini. Here is a link on how to do this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Once that is complete, you must use original wired Apple keyboard to access the "select boot drive" screen on your Mac. To do this, hold down the option key while booting until you see the spinning wheel. Then, once the startup screen appears, you can erase your current operating system (the whole contents of your hard disk actually) and install the new one from your USB drive using disk utility.

Last edited:
Reactions: phunigai

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked:
"AND why do I have to reset my Mac Mini clock everytime I turn on My Mini?"

This would indicate that the motherboard "PRAM battery" has died.
That's to be expected on a Mac this old.
Not worth replacing.
Do you have the Date & Time pref pane set to obtain the time automatically?

You still have not made clear about the other things that are wrong?

jeanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
ky.
OP asked:
"AND why do I have to reset my Mac Mini clock everytime I turn on My Mini?"

This would indicate that the motherboard "PRAM battery" has died.
That's to be expected on a Mac this old.
Not worth replacing.
Do you have the Date & Time pref pane set to obtain the time automatically?

You still have not made clear about the other things that are wrong?
[doublepost=1550939477][/doublepost]ah I don't have a Mac keyboard for my mini Mac. always used a windows keyboard. Don't know if I ever wanted one after seeing no " back" key or "home" key or "end" etc on this Mac Pro 2012 used unit. If I known this I would prob never had bought this laptop. I bought it over web from "swappa"
yes I set the preference to obtain the time and date automatically...

I haven't been on the web for sev days to need to try need to try the suggestions above for tpivette above. Like I mentioned it won't let me create an Apple act on the mini Mac... It says I need to upgrade OS... like I mentioned before computer merry round hell.......
How CAN I TAKE" HIGH Sierra "that on my laptop "launch pad " somehow and put it on something like a DVD. or CD.????. Yeah I d have quite a few usb sticks.... can I drag it to one of those? I sure appreciate y'all patience with me....

Last edited:

phunigai

Suspended
Nov 12, 2018
the clock set up is controlled through "system preferences / energy saver/ set time automatically " shows when there shows up internet connection, unclick automatic connect the get internet then reclick auto. the clock will show the correct time. I have rebooted my mac mini using a Dell keyboard in 2014.
like everyone else im confused on the status of your mini.
does that macmini work now, but only in Snow Leopard?
you can always set up an account with your macbook, then download what ever OSX you can get onto a USB drive and reboot the mini with that drive plugged in.
I hope this helped

tpivette89

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2018
Newark, DE
[doublepost=1550939477][/doublepost]
How CAN I TAKE" HIGH Sierra "that on my laptop "launch pad " somehow and put it on something like a DVD. or CD.????. Yeah I d have quite a few usb sticks.... can I drag it to one of those? I sure appreciate y'all patience with me....
Making a bootable USB stick isn't as simple as dragging and dropping, unfortunately.

First, using your 2012 MacBook Pro, follow the link I posted earlier to get to the page in the App Store where you can download the High Sierra full installer and do so.

Next, once the installer is downloaded, it may or may not launch automatically. If it does so, quit the installer.

After that, follow the instructions I linked to in my last post to use Terminal to create the bootable USB installer drive. This will take some time (about a half hour or so). Once everything is done, eject the drive from your MacBook and it is ready to be used on any other Mac that can accept High Sierra.

Just plug it into a USB port on your 2010 Mini and either access the startup drive menu if you have an Apple keyboard, or go to the Startup Disk application in System Preferences and choose the USB drive then restart.

Reactions: russell_314

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I've got a feelin' that the "best way" for the OP to obtain a bootable USB flash drive is to go on ebay and BUY ONE from one of the sellers there...

Reactions: willmtaylor