Why is my private folder visible in / ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorahk, Feb 7, 2009.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

For some reason this is now visible in my hard drive's root.

How do I hide it again? I don't wanna go near that thing!

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

Is this the only hidden file that is showing up (e.g. you're not seeing .DS_Store or anything else around in the Finder)?

To hide the private folder, you should be able to issue the "sudo chflags hidden /private" command, followed by your password (as you are executing the command as a "root" user by using sudo, known as "super-user do").

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

also if you are unfamiliar use Terminal in the Utilities folder to excecute this command. note: Terminal will not display typing feedback when you enter your password.

4. commandnotapple macrumors newbie

I have confirmed this works :D

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

wow thanks dude, even though this message mite be a year late, it was a big help!

6. DarrenSW macrumors member

Awesome. Every other post I could find on this wanted me to install XCode! Thanks a million :D

7. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Thanks!

It showed up after a Time Machine restore, so I suppose somehow down the line, the settings changed. The terminal command did sure work though.

8. ni240sx macrumors newbie

sorry for the ignorance. i've tried to enter the command using terminal.

sudo chflags hidden /private (password)

it didn't work? and i'm also getting an error message

sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0666, should be 0440
    Segmentation fault

UPDATE: after doing some more googling. and i found the solution. just needed the disk utility to repair disk permissions. and i've been able to hide this "private" folder.

9. factory186 macrumors newbie

But what about repairing permissions?

I know how to make folders invisible, but I am curious as to why my /private folder suddenly became visible... and why repairing permissions does not make it go invisible again, which I would have thought it would have done...

10. Zephar macrumors newbie

I have this same issue

Let me know if you find a fix to make these invisible again. I mistakenly deleted two folders that showed up on root directory on one of my drives,

/private and /dev

Boy, the iMac did not like that, and when I tried to install Lion it hung up and would not install…. not sure what to do with this disk now. It has all my data that does not fit on the SSDs that are the StartUp disks, although I also keep the internal HD capable to be a StartUp disk.

Best,
    Seth

11. Zephar macrumors newbie

I have this same issue

Let me know if you find a fix to make these invisible again. I mistakenly deleted two folders that showed up on root directory on one of my drives,

/private and /dev

Boy, the iMac did not like that, and when I tried to install Lion it hung up and would not install…. not sure what to do with this disk now. It has all my data that does not fit on the SSDs that are the StartUp disks, although I also keep the internal HD capable to be a StartUp disk.

Best,
    Seth