Why is my Quad Core processor showing as Dual Core?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AasimMacFanboy, Feb 7, 2014.

1. AasimMacFanboy, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

AasimMacFanboy macrumors newbie

I bought a new Mac Book 15inch Retina Display with 8 GB RAM for ₹1,50,000.

My System Info shows the Processor name as Intel Core i7 and number of cores as 4. See attached picture for details.

The new machine was performing very slowly and so I took it to the authorised Apple Dealer in Kolkata. The technician connected my MacBook to the Apple server using the Apple Service Toolkit. After that, the hardware specs show says that my Processor name is dual-core Intel Core i7. See attached picture for details.

Now I am confused. Is my processor not being detected properly or have I been cheated into buying a Dual Core machine advertised as Quad Core?

Please advise.

Attached Files:

2. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Pictures not attached.

Ask your local Apple tech this question.

----------

None of i7's offered in MacBook Pro's are dual-core. I'd guess software dev laziness.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The screen shot on the left is also showing that it's a 2.0 GHz processor, not 2.3 as shown on the shot from the system profile.

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

that also says a different SMC and boot rom version than your machine. Its most likely an error in there software.

5. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

so it's double wrong ^^

both the 2.0 as well as the 2.3 Ghz rMBP 15" are quadcores. What program are you using (on the left site) to check your hardware?

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The specification from System Information seems to be correct for the older rMBP 15" 2.3GHz Mid-2012 (MacBookPro10,1) model.

The screenshot from the other software seems to be correct for the newer rMBP 15" 2.0GHz Late-2013 (MacBook Pro11,2) model. Except for the dual core part.

Stange that the two show different models. I would be more inclined to believe the System Information. The firmware versions being different between the two is also odd, it almost seems like one might just be looking up the information based off of a serial number instead of actually reporting on the hardware.

7. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

stupid (off topic) question, but what currency is this --> ₹ <--

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Pretty sure it's the Indian Rupee.