Why is my Xbench so low?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montecarloss919, Feb 5, 2008.

1. montecarloss919 macrumors member

Hi all! So i recently switched from a dell to macbook (2.2) c2d 120hd and i upgraded to 4 gigs of kingston memory, but i feel like my xbench score is so low. any suggestions of how to improve the slacking areas?

View attachment 2.4.08 test.txt

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Your OpenGL driver benchmark is what is driving your score down. New Video Drivers for the X3100 will improve your score.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

4. montecarloss919 thread starter macrumors member

5. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

No it would make the Bench Score even worse.
    Removing your battery halves the processing power.

6. montecarloss919 thread starter macrumors member

any suggesstions? the thing is brand new, so im not sure hwy im not seeing more impressive results

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

As I said before, your openGL benchmarks is what is driving your score down. I am sure you are getting 20 - 25 in your opengl, correct?

8. montecarloss919 thread starter macrumors member

oh yeah, and that the random memory at the end.

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

10. macRumored macrumors newbie

djinn is right it is the OpenGL score thats causing the problem - however:

I too have just purchased a Macbook "SantaRosa" 2.2Ghz Black and was a little surprised to c the benchmark score for OpenGL so low. This test was performed using Xbench which I don't think is properly testing the X3100 shared graphics, given that the previous Intel GMA950 chipset is scoring higher on the OpenGL in Xbench - that can't be right as graphic and game performance is well documented to be up in performance with the new X1300 Chipset.

Unlikely:
    If this were an OpenGL issue with the X3100 board in comparison to the GMA950 (going by Xbench results) then apple would be aware of it and probably would not consider this to be an issue for the MacBook Market. I find it hard to believe they would go backwards with this product.

Although a graphics update for 10.5.2 has been applied by Apple - don't know if this is an indication that their is an OpenGL issue with X3100 but it hasn't made a difference to the Xbench OpenGL test.

CineBench10 results are more accurate and here they are:

MacBook GMA950: 1260 (OpenGL Benchmark)
    MacBook X3100: 2030 (OpenGL Benchmark)

A general note is that this macbook does perform very well with everything I have thrown at it so far. Its is also worth noting that GPU intensive apps are always going to an issue on shared graphics. I have not tested myself but from a gaming point of view I don't think its all bad :) other users appear to have decent results with quality games - its worth looking at YouTube for video of both earlier and recent versions of the MacBook playing games like CounterStrikeSource and HalfLife 2 via BootCamp and CrossOver - see for yourself.